UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer wpunchak
Observer

No option to install System Generator when installing SDx 2017.2

Jump to solution

When I run through the installation for SDx 2017.2, there are no options to install System Generator.

I'm running the installer downloaded from Xilinx here: https://www.xilinx.com/member/forms/download/xef.html?filename=Xilinx_SDx_2017.2_sdx_0823_1.tar.gz

The documentation for the installer states that it will be installing Vivado Design Suite System Edition, but there are no options to install System Generator (see image below). 

image2018-8-24_11-28-13.png

How can I install System Generator? Do I need to use a different installer?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: No option to install System Generator when installing SDx 2017.2

Jump to solution

Hello @wpunchak

I have confirmed with the developement team that when 2017.2 SDx was released, it still was by itself, we have the combined SDx + Vivado starting from 2017.3 Internal and 2017.4 Production. What’s included in 2017.2 SDx was defined by marketing, from what we see, it included the tools that SDx depends on, like Vivado, SDK and HLS , showing in GUI as “Vivado” pre-selected and does not allow user to de-select it, as all these are required to run SDx. Sysgen is not part of it, as SDx works well without Sysgen. Even for the Vivado System Edition, Sysgen is a separate option, just by default selected but user can de-select it, so it’s not a must for System Edition.

If you want to use SysGen v2017.2, you'd need to download and install the 2017.2 Vivado instead of the 2017.2 SDx. Or you can move to use the newer version of SDx -- 2017.4 or the above versions are the combined SDx + Vivado image, Sysgen is included as a separate option, by default not selected though with the marketing decision.

e.g.:

Forum_61.png

Hope the above is clear.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
0 Kudos
12 Replies

Jump to solution

Hello @wpunchak,

From the below link you can read that System Generator for DSP is part of the Vivado® HL System Edition and not of the SDx.

https://www.xilinx.com/products/design-tools/vivado/integration/sysgen.html#buy

From the Vivado install GUI you can also see this note:

Forum_58.png

Please note that SysGen gets installed together with the Vivado System Edition installation. There won't be an option (similar to SDK) to select/unselect SysGen on the next installation window after you've selected the Vivado System edition to be installed.

However, once the Vivado System Edition is installed, under the start menu you'd then be able to find System Generator, e.g.:

Forum_59.png

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
0 Kudos
Observer wpunchak
Observer

Jump to solution

Thanks @anatoli, but I'm still confused about where Xilinx products differ.

From the documentation for the 2017.2 SDx it states:

The installation of SDSoC™ includes the following:
• SDSoC environment, including an Eclipse/CDT-based GUI, high-level system compiler, and
ARM GNU toolchain
• Vivado® Design Suite System Edition, with Vivado High-Level Synthesis (HLS) and the
Xilinx® Software Development Kit (SDK)

Could you clarify what is different between the Vivado Design Suite System Edition installed with the SDx and the standalone Vivado HL System Edition?

Does the SDx installation install only a partial Vivado Design Suite System Edition?

The Vivado Design Suite System Edition installed with the 2017.2 SDx does not include the System Generator.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hello @wpunchak,

Apologies for the confusion.

When we are talking about Vivado System Edition, if this is installed, no matter if this is done via "stand alone" Vivado Design Suite installation or SDx installation, SysGen comes as part of this installation. If you have no SysGen, consider this to be Vivado Design Edition, as Vivado System Edition is a superset of Vivado Design Edition + SysGen for DSP.

Running the SDx xsetup installer would get you the same Vivado Design Suite as the 2017.2 Vivado xsetup installer, and offers the same options as the Vivado System Edition installation. The SDx xsetup installer is a super-set of the Vivado System Edition version.

BTW, FYI -  when having Vivado System Edition installed, you'd just need a Vivado System Edition license.

Having SDx installed, you'd need a Vivado System Edition license + SDSoC license.

Hope the above is clear.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
0 Kudos
Observer wpunchak
Observer

Jump to solution

Thanks @anatoli, your explanation clarified the differences.

My only issue is, now that I've installed SDx 2017.2, there is no shortcut for system generator. I've looked in the install directory for "sysgen.bat" and it doesn't exist. This wasn't the case with 2018.2, for that installation the shortcut and bat files were in the correct location.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hello @wpunchak,

You are right, I have just tried and indeed, SysGen ins't there with 2017.2 SDx installation, unlike with SDx 2018.2.

I have raised an issue with the development team regarding this matter. I will update you once I hear back from them.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hello @wpunchak

I have confirmed with the developement team that when 2017.2 SDx was released, it still was by itself, we have the combined SDx + Vivado starting from 2017.3 Internal and 2017.4 Production. What’s included in 2017.2 SDx was defined by marketing, from what we see, it included the tools that SDx depends on, like Vivado, SDK and HLS , showing in GUI as “Vivado” pre-selected and does not allow user to de-select it, as all these are required to run SDx. Sysgen is not part of it, as SDx works well without Sysgen. Even for the Vivado System Edition, Sysgen is a separate option, just by default selected but user can de-select it, so it’s not a must for System Edition.

If you want to use SysGen v2017.2, you'd need to download and install the 2017.2 Vivado instead of the 2017.2 SDx. Or you can move to use the newer version of SDx -- 2017.4 or the above versions are the combined SDx + Vivado image, Sysgen is included as a separate option, by default not selected though with the marketing decision.

e.g.:

Forum_61.png

Hope the above is clear.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
0 Kudos
Observer wpunchak
Observer

Jump to solution

@anatoli, thanks for confirming that.

The reason I had selected the 2017.2 software was because I was evaluating MathWorks HDL Workflow Advisor. With Matlab 2018A, the most recent release they had confirmed and tested with was Vivado 2017.2.

Next I'll be evaluating the System Generator workflow. From Xilinx's documentation, it looks as though the latest System Generator with Vivado 2018.1 will only support up to Matlab 2017b. Is this correct?

We're going to be purchasing some of the latest Zync UltraScale+ RFSOCs to take advantage of the onboard ADCs and are trying to establish a workflow for our team.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hello @wpunchak,

Indeed, SysGen 2018.1 only supports MATLAB Versions: 2017a and 2017b from MathWorks.

However R2018a is supported with SysGen 2018.2 version (and not with 2017.2, as indicated on the MathWorks website). See page 6 of UG973 (v 2018.2):

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2018_2/ug973-vivado-release-notes-install-license.pdf

There must be a mistake on the site and instead of 2017.2, there should be 2018.2 version of Vivado tools.

UG973 (v2017.2), page 77 indicates that the Supported MATLAB Versions with SysGen 2017.2 are: R2016a, R2016b, and R2017a only:

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2017_2/ug973-vivado-release-notes-install-license.pdf

If you have any further questions for me, please let me know.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
0 Kudos
Observer wpunchak
Observer

Jump to solution

Hello @anatoli,

After creating a simulink project in Matlab R2018A, I added a Xilinx System Generator Block. If I then double click this System Generator Block I get the following error:

e1.PNG

Do you know how to resolve the above error?

I'm not confident that SysGen 2018.2 is compatible with Matlab R2018A. 

Thanks,

Wayne

0 Kudos
Observer wpunchak
Observer

Jump to solution

@anatoli, have you had a chance to confirm on your machine that SysGen 2018.2 and Matlab R2018A are compatible?

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hello @wpunchak,

Please raise this issue (i.e. your last error that you see with SysGen 2018.2 and R2018a) on DSP IP and Tools forum boards, as I have confirmed and it is supported. The same is indicated in the latest latest UG973 (v 2018.2):

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2018_2/ug973-vivado-release-notes-install-license.pdf

Based on the previous similar issues,  this could happen after installing a new version of System Generator for DSP into the same directory as the old version that you may have. 

You may want to check this AR for some details: http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/34303.htm

Anyhow, still please post this error on DSP IP and Tools forum board, and indicate that based on the docs, SysGen 2018.2 and R2018a are compatible. The SysGen experts will then be able to help you with this issue.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer wpunchak
Observer

Jump to solution

@anatoli, I've raised a new issue here:

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/DSP-IP-and-Tools/Sysgen-2018-2-and-Matlab-R2018A-are-seemingly-NOT-compatible/m-p/890840/highlight/true#M8647

I'll mark this issue as resolved, since you did answer my original concerns. Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos