UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor otceliker
Visitor

Unable to open archive .xz on Windows 7 64-bit

Jump to solution

Hi,

I'm having problems with my ISE Webpack installation on my 64-bit Windows 7.

After having the initial shock with Webpack 11.x and the 64-bit problem, I switched over to 12.2 and downloaded it. I did the untar using the latest version of 7-Zip and started the install with administrator privileges and with User Account Control turned off. But still, when the install starts, the installer gives the error message (in the first file it tries to process):

"Unable to open archive ...\Xilinx_ISE_DS_Win_12.2_M.63c.1.1\idata\drop_0054_ise.zip.xz. Please check file permissions."

The file is actually there, so it cannot be a "file not found" problem. I'm aware that the file may be corrupt, so I'm redownloading the installer to retry. But while downloading, is there anything I can do to possibly solve the problem?

Thank you all very much in advance.

otceliker

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Unable to open archive .xz on Windows 7 64-bit

Jump to solution

Hi guys,

I got the very same error but the difference is that I'm trying to install it in Windows XP Professional with SP3. I tried several ways to have it installed, including re-downloading it and checking its MD5.

Finaly I think I have a solution that appears worked for me. I just right click in the xsetup.exe file and selected properties. After that I clicked in Compatibility Tab and checked the "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" box selecting "Windows98 / Windows Me". Magically the app started to get installed.

Right now it is still in it's installation phase, I hope everything goes smooth, and that this hint works for you too..

Cheers!!!

DM

0 Kudos
27 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Please check whether your file system is NTFS

0 Kudos
Visitor wh1sp3r
Visitor

Jump to solution

Hello,

I have Windows 7 64bit too and i have same problem.

Disks are NTFS.

I run setup as a administrator, tried different folders, different disks, same error.

0 Kudos
Visitor otceliker
Visitor

Jump to solution

My file system is NTFS too.

I've noticed that I cannot open .xz files on the system, there is no compatible program to unpack them. I think the installer should have its own unpacker; but still, can that be the problem? If so, which unpacker would you recommend?

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Any chance that the file is in a directory with a space in the name?

------Have you tried typing your question into Google? If not you should before posting.
Too many results? Try adding site:www.xilinx.com
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi guys,

I got the very same error but the difference is that I'm trying to install it in Windows XP Professional with SP3. I tried several ways to have it installed, including re-downloading it and checking its MD5.

Finaly I think I have a solution that appears worked for me. I just right click in the xsetup.exe file and selected properties. After that I clicked in Compatibility Tab and checked the "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" box selecting "Windows98 / Windows Me". Magically the app started to get installed.

Right now it is still in it's installation phase, I hope everything goes smooth, and that this hint works for you too..

Cheers!!!

DM

0 Kudos
Newbie sraclevi

Jump to solution

Hi!

I copied thesource of  installation directory to a place which doesn't contain spaces or accents. It worked!!

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution
did you verify the MD5 checksum of the tarball that you downloaded? TAR is different from ZIP in that it does NOT have a built-in CRC so if the TAR is corrupt it will still extract just fine and throw no errors.
-------------------------------------------
this space intentionally left blank
0 Kudos
Newbie nihatsoydan

Jump to solution

thank you for your help. ıt worked too.

0 Kudos
Newbie uek345

Jump to solution

Have the same problem with Windows XP prof. But stating it in the compatibility mode doesn't work. Any ideas?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Newbie mpugh

Jump to solution

I have a very similar problem.  I have tried this in both XP 32 bit and Windows 7 64 bit.  It always fails on drop_0129_edk.zip.xz

I have downloaded the tar file twice.  I have tried the xsetup.exe from the nt and the nt64 folder.  I have tested the drop_0129_edk.zip.xz with zip 7 and it can't open it.

I am very frustrated with this.  I have been using foundation and ISE since version 1.4, and never had such a bad experience.

I have tried the compatablilty mode "solution" and there are no spaces in the path. And yes it is NTFS.

0 Kudos
Newbie mpugh

Jump to solution
I have tested it with zip 7 and it passes. I am super frustrated with this.
0 Kudos
Newbie brumiel

Jump to solution

Hi! I had the same problem.

I had one folder with an accent, after changing it , started to work.

Hope this can help.

Jump to solution

hi everybody.... i had  same problem... im trying to installing external hd  and did not install... finaly i copied xilinx file and pasted D or E disc and try again and it installed... i said yes :) i solved my problem

0 Kudos
Newbie tstrba

Jump to solution

Try copy install directory to C:\Xilinx and try to install again.

My problem was in my user name with non ASCII characters...

0 Kudos
Newbie 78907890

Jump to solution

i had the same problem and i just changed the install directory to a location without accents or spaces:(C:\xilinx\)

I thing that trying install xilinx by directory such as  C:\Users\nameofcomputer\  have problems

0 Kudos
Newbie ozekai

Jump to solution

yeah it should be in a directory without spaces....it worked for me...sweet.....

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

just copy the folder to a directory without any space or special characteres in the path.

Best regards,
Patrick

0 Kudos
Newbie armellica

Jump to solution

I also just had this exact same problem (also with Windows 7 64-bit, and same "file permission" problem)

What I did that solved the problem :

1. Download the Full DVD Single File Download Image (TAR/GZIP - 7.78 GB) MD5 SUM Value: bfe4e9c3cd8d2d7024163ca140113d25) 

(instead of Full Installer for Windows (TAR/GZIP - 6.18 GB) MD5 SUM Value: 94f40553a93dfbeca642503e2721b270)

2. Unzip files in C:/Xilinx_ISE_DS_14.7_1015_1/...

3. Run xsetup and set files in C:/Xilinx

=> Everything works (for me). I tried every solution suggested before, they did not work.

This process did.

I hope it will help.

Good luck !

0 Kudos
Newbie clgra

Jump to solution

Here's the solution.

The general problem is mainly that the standard (e.g. Win 8's Filzip) zip-program won't extract the entire tar-file, and even though, it won't give an error message, so the user would think that it's been unzipped correctly.

It hasn't. You have to use another zip program recognising the .xz-files. This wouldn't be a problem if Xilinx didn't use tar/xz to begin with of course :/

But the solution is to download e.g. 7-Zip and use that to unzip the entire .tar-file.

Sure, a space in the path might case trouble as well, along with anti-virus, firewalls, administrator rights and compatibility, but the main thing is certainly the tar/xz issue.

Asking about file system format is seemingly a bit silly in this case, as a Xilinx employee should surely be able to recognise a problem like this and help the user. Anything else just seems somewhat unprofessional and lacking in terms of customer support :/

Hope this helps whoever runs into this problem, which I guess would be quite a lot of the users these days.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi all,

copy and paste, or simply extract, the installation folder to my C:\  works for me, by doing this, your are sure that there is no non-ACSII chars in your folder path

Good luck

0 Kudos
Newbie ingnicolasd

Jump to solution

It works!

0 Kudos
Newbie liachen

Jump to solution

thanks!!. I had the same problem trying install webpack ISE 14.7, windows 7. Really thanks  :D

0 Kudos
Newbie thvril

Jump to solution

PROBLEM SOLUTION: change your path names in order to avoid no ASCII characters.

In my case I had the xilinx installer in "C:\ (.....) \ versão 2º sem (...)\ " and  found out that "ã" or "º" were causing this problem. So I copied all xilinx installation folder (I mean, all the content included in the .tar that you donwload, I just copied it already unziped) directly to the path "C:\xilinx_temporary" (xilinx_temporary is the name of a new temporary folder I created to use only while during installation process). Then I just run the .exe again and "voila", problem solved.

Newbie ltomi.91

Jump to solution

Hi,

I also would like to install this program, so I has been downloaded the 4 files. But I don't know how can I install these are.. I use 7zip and I can see the file contents. So I see the "xseup.exe", but what is the situation with the other "xz" files?

I attached the picture from the contents.

Thank you!

Thomas

xilinx help.png
0 Kudos
Newbie ltomi.91

Jump to solution

I understand now, so I have no problem :)

xilinx ok.png
0 Kudos
Newbie _mounir_

Jump to solution

Hello, 

I got the same problem, and I tested most of solutions in the net but the problem remained the same. I am writing this reply to add how I solved the problem. First of all, I have windows 7, my file system is NTFS, and I run the program as adiminstrator, the path of the setup doesn't contain any space. The solution for me was to unzip the file using 7-zip instead of other softwares. after that the installation worked as charm. 

0 Kudos
Newbie matheuscxma

Jump to solution

For me the solution was:

To work with simple directory names

1 - Paste the installation files into a directory such as D: \ ISE
2 - Then, select a simple Installation directory as well, just like C: \ Xilinx

Note: I used the compatibility mode, and administrator mode as well.

0 Kudos