cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sheac12
Visitor
Visitor

VLM cannot access floating license

I have setup a license server with trusted storage on CentOS 7.1 server, it is servering 6 Xilinx licenses: 4 Xilinx Design Edition and 2 Xilinx System Edition. As part of these licenses I need also to server up ISE 14.X access. I already understand that either ISE or VIVADO running will count against the total number of available licenses at any given time.

The lmgrd server is using the ISE xilinx_license.lic as the license file. Currently all ISE versioned software can checkout a license just fine. I am now attempting to get the VIVADO licenses to be accessable, but it is not working. After reading on the boards I have tried the following: run VLM and have my XILINXD_LICENSE_FILE=2100@MY.IP.ADD.RESS it only identifies the ISE products. It was suggested to verify my trusted storage and view the available vivado licenses using ./xlicsrvrmgr -v "format=long":

===============================================================================================
Fulfillment Id : XXX
Fulfillment Type : 6 Publisher Activation
Trust Flags : 0x7 Fully Trusted
Entitlement Id : XXX
Product Id : 209856466
Expiration Date : permanent
Server chain : Server1
Feature Line(s) :
INCREMENT Vivado_Design_Edition xilinxd 2016.11 permanent 1 \
697D7ADB4DD5 \
VENDOR_STRING=TRUSTED_STORAGE,sheac12,Vivado_Design_Edition,software,permanent,_178722307_203016084_210616388_545,AB_TRUE \
DUP_GROUP=V ISSUER="Xilinx Inc" START=22-Nov-2015 TS_OK
INCREMENT SDK xilinxd 2016.11 permanent 1 AC4A09E59CE3 \
VENDOR_STRING=TRUSTED_STORAGE,sheac12,SDK,software,permanent,_178722307_203016084_210616388_720,AB_TRUE \
ISSUER="Xilinx Inc" START=22-Nov-2015 TS_OK
INCREMENT SDK xilinxd 2016.11 permanent 1 A58F321DF028 \
VENDOR_STRING=TRUSTED_STORAGE,sheac12,SDK,software,permanent,_178722307_203016084_210616391_826,AB_TRUE \
PACKAGE Vivado_Design_Edition xilinxd 2016.11 66CEE9DD8998 \
COMPONENTS="Simulation Implementation Analyzer Synthesis" \
OPTIONS=SUITE

Concurrent : 0
Activatable : 0
Hybrid : 4
Concurrent overdraft : 0
Activatable overdraft : 0
Hybrid overdraft : 0
Repair : 0
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fulfillment Id : XXXX
Fulfillment Type : 6 Publisher Activation
Trust Flags : 0x7 Fully Trusted
Entitlement Id : XXXXX
Product Id : 209856467
Expiration Date : permanent
Server chain : Server1
Feature Line(s) :
INCREMENT SDK xilinxd 2016.11 permanent 1 AC4A09E59CE3 \
VENDOR_STRING=TRUSTED_STORAGE,sheac12,SDK,software,permanent,_178722307_203016084_210616388_720,AB_TRUE \
INCREMENT Vivado_System_Edition xilinxd 2016.11 permanent 1 \
354B902D81DE \
VENDOR_STRING=TRUSTED_STORAGE,sheac12,Vivado_System_Edition,software,permanent,_178722307_203016084_210616391_768,AB_TRUE \
DUP_GROUP=V ISSUER="Xilinx Inc" START=22-Nov-2015 TS_OK
INCREMENT SDK xilinxd 2016.11 permanent 1 A58F321DF028 \
VENDOR_STRING=TRUSTED_STORAGE,sheac12,SDK,software,permanent,_178722307_203016084_210616391_826,AB_TRUE \
PACKAGE Vivado_System_Edition xilinxd 2016.11 6B14155A9C82 \
COMPONENTS="SysGen Simulation Implementation Analyzer HLS \
Synthesis VIVADO_HLS" OPTIONS=SUITE

Concurrent : 0
Activatable : 0
Hybrid : 2
Concurrent overdraft : 0
Activatable overdraft : 0
Hybrid overdraft : 0
Repair : 0

Viewed 2 of 2 fulfillment records.

=============================================================================================

NOTE: I have manually replaced the Fulfillment Id and Entitlement ID with XXX.

When running VLM on the client computer the LMGRD server has an error appear in the log file with: (xilinxd) UNSUPPORTED: "vlm_check" (PORT_AT_HOST_PLUS ) user@compname (License server system does not support this feature. (-18,327))

I am at a lost on what I am doing wrong.

Thank you,

Colin

0 Kudos
9 Replies
arpansur

Hi @sheac12,

It is found that a new predictable naming rules system has been implemented when naming the network interfaces in RedHat and derivatives a reason behind Linux ethernet NIC is not being recognised. The VLM needs the "eth*" convention in order to recognize Linux NIC cards. Please change the name of an NIC.  for e.g; eth0.

Thanks,
Arpan

Thanks,
Arpan
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
nupurs

Hi @sheac12,

In addition to Arpan's suggestion, can you please try to downgrade to License Management Tools v11.6, which can be downloaded from:

https://secure.xilinx.com/webreg/register.do?group=dlc&htmlfile=&emailFile=&cancellink=&eFrom=&eSubject=&version=13.4&akdm=0&filename=linux_flexlm_v11.6.zip&local_cache=true

Thanks,
Nupur

Thanks,
Nupur
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (click on the 'thumbs-up' button).
0 Kudos
rajeshtu
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @sheac12,

As mentioned in the previous post, you must change it to "eth" convention so that VLM recognizes the linux NIC cards.

Once this is done, create the request.xml file, and see if the UNM values are getting populated correctly.

If no UNM values are populated ,the you need to re-initialize the trusted storage.

Try the suggestion and let us know the result.

Thanks,
Rajesh

0 Kudos
arpansur

Hi @rajeshtu,

Adding to @rajeshtu's suggestion to reintialize the trusted storage please go through the following steps:

1. Open a terminal with root/pseudo privileges
  2. Navigate to the folder containing lmtools and run "install_fnp.sh"

Thanks,
Arpan

Thanks,
Arpan
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
0 Kudos
sheac12
Visitor
Visitor

All,

Before I continue I believe I need to clarify a few items. The computer that is my license server is NOT the same computer I am attempting to checkout a license on. These two are networked together. 

I have changed both my client computer and my license server to have the first phyical NIC as eth0. On the license server this is the expected MAC address. 

On the license server I returned the original licenses to Xilinx, then proceeded to have CentOS 7 change the NIC from em1 to eth0. I rebooted and then reinitialized the trusted storage as per the directions and generated a xml file for my license. In order to get the website to identify that I had permision I had to use the following command to generate the license file:

./xlicsrvrmgr -cr ~/xilinx_request_vivado.xml "reference=xilinx_request_vivado". After selecting the licenses and receiving the XML i was able to populate the trusted storage with: ./xlicsrvrmgr -p Xilinx_License.xml. 

On my client machine I set XILINXD_LICENSE_FILE to my port@ip and sourced the VIVIDO settings64.sh file and then start vlm. When I go to *view license status* I still only see the ISE versions.

Other information: When activiting the licenses on the web site and looking at the "Manage Licenses" tab for the VIVADO I have just created, I see an entry with the following

empty entry for the hostname, host type is "Machine Identity", Host ID is a long string of characters

Thank you,

Colin

0 Kudos
nupurs

Hi Colin,

Have you created a sample .lic file started the lmgrd process?
Refer to this AR for details:
http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/60522.html

Check steps 7 and 8.

Thanks,
Nupur
Thanks,
Nupur
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (click on the 'thumbs-up' button).
0 Kudos
sheac12
Visitor
Visitor

Thank you, yes I am running the floating license (.lic) file for my ISE 14.7.

0 Kudos
nupurs

Hi,

Can you post a pic of the Manage License tab of VLM?

Thanks,
Nupur
Thanks,
Nupur
0 Kudos
sheac12
Visitor
Visitor

Please see the attached display of the VLM.

Thank you,

Colin

vivado_license_manager.png
0 Kudos