Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rkn2222
Visitor
Visitor

Vitis License

Jump to solution

Hello everyone,

I have vivado 2019.2 installed on my remote machine, which is powerful and used to develop hardware platforms.

I also have vitis & vivado 2019.2 installed on my laptop to work locally with an FPGA board (ultra96v2), but uses only vitis to develop some application software for testing and evaluating.

The license got with the voucher that came with the board have have been installed on the remote PC to run sysnthesis.

Do I need one more license for my laptop?
# My current understanding is that the Xilinx license is for developing HW (Vivado), not SW (Vitis), so no license is needed to use Vitis.

Thanks in advance.

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
anatoli

Hello @rkn2222 

# My current understanding is that the Xilinx license is for developing HW (Vivado), not SW (Vitis), so no license is needed to use Vitis.

I can confirm that you above statement is correct, you only need a license for Vivado, and Vitis is license free. You see when installing Vitis, it also installs Vivado, as Vivado called under the hood by Vitis for implementation.So you can use Vitis for all devices but you will need to purchase a Vivado license to enable the larger devices. In your case you have a device locked license that came with your purchased kit, so this means you are good to go and no additional license is needed in your case.

FYI - Vivado and Vitis is free when you use one of the Webpack parts (please refer to Table 1: Architecture Support UG973 for up-to-date list of devices supported by Vivado WebPACK) or if you are targeting an Alveo accelerator card. 

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

If starting with Versal, take a look at our Versal Design Process Hub and our
Versal Blogs

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

2 Replies
anatoli

Hello @rkn2222 

I can confirm that you above statement is correct, you only need a license for Vivado, and Vitis is license free. You see when installing Vitis, it also installs Vivado, as Vivado called under the hood by Vitis for implementation.So you can use Vitis for all devices but you will need to purchase a Vivado license to enable the larger devices. In your case you have a device locked license that came with your purchased kit, so this means you are good to go and no additional license is needed in your case.

FYI - Vivado and Vitis is free when you use one of the Webpack parts (please refer to Table 1: Architecture Support UG973 for up-to-date list of devices supported by Vivado WebPACK) or if you are targeting an Alveo accelerator card. 

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support

Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

If starting with Versal, take a look at our Versal Design Process Hub and our
Versal Blogs

View solution in original post

rkn2222
Visitor
Visitor

Hello@anatoli ,

Thank you for replaying.

It's very good for me to confirm that I can go without an additional license.

And,

Hope this helps.

So far, I've had no idea to use Vivado Webpack. The device on the board, XCZU3EG, that I have is supported by it, it's good when I use Vivado on another machine or the term of the license is expired (1 year later).

Thank you for letting me know.

Best regards,