UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

Vivado 2013.2 - Launching jobs on a remote host

Explorer

Vivado 2013.2 - Launching jobs on a remote host

Hi,

I'd like to launch a job on a remote host, but it's not working.

I'm running Ubuntu-12.10 64-bit with Vivado-2013.2 and it works fine. I've configured another Ubuntu machine, and verified that ssh connectivity works and that I am able to login to the machine remotely.

I've defined a remote host in the Vivado Options window, and the command is "ssh -q o BatchMode=yes". However, when I click on the Test button, it says "Connection test failed for host 'server2': Launch test failed on host 'server2' using command 'ssh -q o BatchMode=yes'.

What are the pre-requisites for running jobs of remote hosts using Vivado? There isn't much by way of documentation for this feature.

Regards,

Elvis Dowson

Scholar

Re: Vivado 2013.2 - Launching jobs on a remote host

Explorer

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I've installed RHEL-6.5 on two machines, and I am able to ping them both and the vivado remote host connection tests passes.

However, when I launch a synthesis on the main machine, it doesn't launch a synthesis run on the remote host. In the list of servers, I have specified the two machines (local and remote), but the jobs only launch on the local machine.

I have installed Vivado-2013.2 on both machines, and modified the .bashrc script to source the settings64.sh file. So when I log via ssh, the vivado -help command works.

The following statements from UG904 are not very clear:

Vivado IDE installation must be visible from the mounted file systems on remote machines. If the Vivado IDE installation is stored on a local disk on your own machine, it may not be visible from remote machines.

Vivado IDE project files (.xpr) and directories (.data and .runs) must be visible from the mounted file systems on remote machines. If the design data is saved to a local disk, it may not be visible from remote machines.

If the project files reside on the local server at the following location

/project/hardware/design/fpga/project

What should I do on the remote server? How would the remote server know which directory to access the data from?

The part I'm not clear about is the one where it mentions that the .xpr files and directories must be visible from the mounted file systems on the remote machines. How should I mount the project files on the remote server?

A command line example, for what must be run on the remote server would be great, to clarify things.

Regards,

Elvis Dowson

Explorer

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I figured out the commands to use ssh to remotely mount filesystems, but I find that synthesis runs are not distributed across the two machines. I am able to launch on either the local or the remote machine, but not both.

How does this feature work? The documentation is quite sparse and there isn't that much info that's publically available.

I have included the commands for remotely mounting filesystems using sshfs for RHEL-6.5 below:

Enable the EPEL repository for RHEL-6.5.

$ su
# cd /tmp
# wget http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/6/x86_64/epel-release-6-8.noarch.rpm
# rpm -ivh epel-release-6-8.noarch.rpm

Install sshfs

# yum install sshfs

You can check the mount point using the df -hT command

# df -hT

To use sshfs as a non-root user, you need to add the user to the fuse group

# usermod -a -G fuse elvis

Run the following command to activate the group membership change

# exec su -l $USER

Mount the remote filesystem as a normal user

$ sshfs elvis@local:/project /project

Enter passphrase for key '/home/elvis/.ssh/id_rsa': 
[elvis@remote ~]$

$ sshfs elvis@local:/tool/xilinx /tool/xilinx

To unmount a ssh-mounted directory

$ fusermount -u /project
$ fusermount -u /tool/xilinx

Regards,

Elvis Dowson

Observer

[ Edited ]

on Ubuntu you have to make a local symlink for sh interpreter pointing to /bin/bash, as the global one is redirecting onto /bin/dash. the /bin/dash can't handle output redirection properly (it's actually a bug inside Vivado script).

mkdir -p ~/.local/bin

ln -s /bin/bash ~/.local/bin/sh

solved the problem.

Observer

Or alternatively:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure dash

Visitor

Thanks! Your my hero, this fixed the problem for me.