Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Arri69
Visitor
Visitor

Vivado 2015.01 node locked Artix-7 Eval Kit (AC701) on Ubuntu 18.04

Jump to solution

Hi,

We just purchased an Artic-7 Evaluation Kit (AC701). The package letter says that this product has been frozen with the release of Vivado 2015.1. "It will not run in the later Vivado software."

The computer we built the AC701 into is running Ubuntu 18.04.

I installed Vivado 2015.1 WebPack, but I am having licensing issues. Specifically I am not seeing a Network Interface Card (NIC) ID in the License Manager (view Host Information). The number there is just zeros (0000000000). The Evaluation Kit came with two licence vouchers:

- Artix-7 FPGA Ac701 Evaluation Kit

- NW Logic 3rd Party IP Entitlement Voucher for the Artix-7 FPGA AC701 Evaluation Kit.

I used ifconfig and took the ether (enp3s0) number for the host ID to generate a license. But when I run the bitgeneration in Vivado I get the error message that a valid license was not found.

Please help.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
watari
Teacher
Teacher

Hi @Arri69 

Hmm, it depends on your knowledge for linux and application of flexlm.

But, would you refer the ex. following to change Ethernet device name ?

https://community.mellanox.com/s/article/howto-change-network-interface-name-in-linux-permanently

Best regards,

View solution in original post

7 Replies
bhall0107
Adventurer
Adventurer
I could be wrong, but when we used the AC701 we just used Vivado 2019.2 WebPack on Windows 10 and it worked fine. I don't think you need to install any of the licences unless you really want to use the NW Logic IP. Things might be different for Ubuntu, but on Windows we didn't need to use any of the included licenses. I guess it depends on what your goal is with the eval kit...
0 Kudos
Arri69
Visitor
Visitor

Thanks for the email @bhall0107 . I am trying to generate a bitstream from the 'Example MicroBlaze Design in IP Integrator'. But for the Synthesis I get the error "[Common 17-345] A valid license was not found for the feature 'Synthesis' and/or device 'xca200t'. Please run the Vivado License Manager for assistance ..." 

0 Kudos
watari
Teacher
Teacher

Hi @Arri69 

I guess it seems well known issue for flexlm.

You can choose the solution from the followings.

1)

Upgrade flexlm and vendor license daemon from latest vivado.

2)

Change Ethernet device name from current device name to eth0.

Because of old flexlm can only search Ethernet device name as eth0.

However current linux distributor uses variety naming rule by ex. systemd.

Would you try it ?

Best regards,

0 Kudos
bhall0107
Adventurer
Adventurer
I see. When we first got the AC701, we kind of ignored the example design because it wasn't made for Windows and used that 3rd party IP. Xilinx has their own IP for PCIe now (we used XDMA), which they might not have had back this board was designed (looks like 2015). Sorry that I can't help much with license management, just wanted to share that we avoided using the old Vivado version and the old example design and were still able to target the board and create a bitstream without an additional license.
Arri69
Visitor
Visitor

Hi @watari 

Which is easier and get me quickest to doing the work.

Switching to eth0 sounds good. Do you have a recipe to do that?

Thanks

0 Kudos
watari
Teacher
Teacher

Hi @Arri69 

Hmm, it depends on your knowledge for linux and application of flexlm.

But, would you refer the ex. following to change Ethernet device name ?

https://community.mellanox.com/s/article/howto-change-network-interface-name-in-linux-permanently

Best regards,

View solution in original post

Arri69
Visitor
Visitor

Thank you, changing to eth0 worked. However I had to follow this link:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/767786/changing-network-interfaces-name-ubuntu-16-04

My system is running Ubuntu 18.04, so I had to leave out KERNEL=="eth*".

Also I did not get the wlan name to be something like "wlan0" as they are describing there by changing the grub file. That has for me now the name "rename3".

But I don't seem to have Vivado licensing issues anymore (and internet is still working).

Best Regards

Arasch

0 Kudos