Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
efe373
Visitor
Visitor

Vivado supported OS

Jump to solution

Hello everyone,

I am planning to use Vivado 2019.1, but I have questions on my mind. In the Release Notes document of Vivado 2019.1 there is a list of supported operating systems. However, I am curious about if also Fedora and openSUSE are supported? I am assuming both of them are supported because RHEL and SUSE are supported. Can you clarify a little? Thanks.

Efe

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kdeshwal
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @efe373 ,

I would suggest to go with the mentioned supported OS to enjoy flawless & smooth work-flow.
I have seen some users facing issues when following User Guide.
Please check UG973 for details. 

Thanks,
Kuldeep

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please give Kudo and Accept as a Solution if solution provided seems helpful.
Have a look at our Versal Design Process Hub, Versal Blogs and the Versal Forum Useful Resources
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
drjohnsmith
Teacher
Teacher

if it not in the list

its not supported,

does not mean it wont work, just its not been tried 

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
dm78
Adventurer
Adventurer

It may work, but if you have trouble, it's unlikely to get a valuable answer. Most of the time you will get: "It's unsupported. Use a supported OS.".

In my case, I cannot use one of the supported OS, because I'm not using Vivado or Vitis or Petalinux on it's own. I have several EDA tools and every tool trys to enforce it's own version of a sertain distribution. Even for Xilinx, it differs between Vivado and Petalinux (at least in earlier versions). The closes you may get is to use a dedicated VM for each tool. But that cannot be maintained, especially when dealing this different distributions. It will not take a long time and you have to manage several VMs.

Therefore, I'm using my well known arch and try to fix problems by myself (great thanks to the arch community). It is sad to see that most problems are unnecessary. They are not kernel related, eg. the programmers work like a charm. But the applications... . Althought they are basically java applications, Vivado, SDK, Vitis, Vitis_HLS even struggle to run on a slightly different distribution. The deployment is HHHUUUGGGEE (xx.x GB per release), but it's still not complete.

For Xilinx, I would recommend to switch to some kind of flatpak or even better to provide a basic container image instead of an installation.

So, be warned.

kdeshwal
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @efe373 ,

I would suggest to go with the mentioned supported OS to enjoy flawless & smooth work-flow.
I have seen some users facing issues when following User Guide.
Please check UG973 for details. 

Thanks,
Kuldeep

Please give Kudo and Accept as a Solution if solution provided seems helpful.
Have a look at our Versal Design Process Hub, Versal Blogs and the Versal Forum Useful Resources

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
joancab
Teacher
Teacher

If you stick to what is mentioned as supported you have some guarantees, first one: they may look into the potential problems you find. At the end of the day, the OS is a tool.