UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer zubinkumar
Observer

Xilinx 10 and xilinx 11 installation

Simple question - 

Can I have Xilinx ISE 10.1 and ISE 11.1 work on the same machine without any conflicts. I need to switch between the 2 versions frequently so I need both and cant use one or the other because 11.1 projects cant be opened in 10.1

Also, is it possible to open an 11.5 ISE project in 11.1 ?

Help is always appreciated. 

Thanks,

Zubin

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

Re: Xilinx 10 and xilinx 11 installation

quick answer , yes

but 

what I try to do is use something like VMware to keep each  version in a seperate virtual machine,

j

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos
Observer zubinkumar
Observer

oh ok .. thnx !

virtual machines is a good idea ... but is that why i keep getting the messages sg_config.exe has stopped working or _pn.exe has crashed for ise 11.1 webpack ? i m using windows vista OS (32 bit) ...

z.

0 Kudos
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

Hi

I don't know why you have the errors,

as soon as you said vista, the heckles went up.

seriously, 

you can install multipe versions,

but it can easily go wrong, 

multiple libraries, dll files, over writing each other,

it's in my experiance not worth the life.

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos
Teacher eteam00
Teacher

as soon as you said vista, the hackles went up.

Someday, somewhere, someone working for Microsoft will need a Xilinx FPGA design.

Then maybe, just maybe...  justice will be served.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
Instructor
Instructor

If you can "upgrade" your Vista machine to Windows XP Professional, then both 10.1 (I use 10.1.03i - the latest)

and 11.5 should both run.  I have 10.1, 11.5, and 12.1 (among others) all on one machine running WinXP.  For

11.1 and earlier you need to change the "Xilinx" and "path" Windows environment variables when you switch.  They

won't work well if you try to open both at once.  See if the "Rapid Environment Editor" is available for Vista, as

it makes switching back and forth a lot easier.  For 12.1 and newer versions, the GUI does not require the

environment variables, so you can run any one of the earlier versions and any newer version at the same time

provided you have enough virtual memory.

HTH,

Gabor

-- Gabor
Advisor evgenis1
Advisor

Hi Zubin,

Not quite.

In ISE versions before 12.x environment variables (XILINX, XILINX_DSP, etc.) are set during installation. If you change those variables to point to correct installation before the tool invocation, it will work. This XCell article explains how to do it in more detail.

Thanks,

Evgeni

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

I agree

you can get the different versions of ISE to work together,

its how tech support used to work in supporting different versions of ISE.

but don't.

use seperate virtual machines.

soooooo  much easier.

0 Kudos