UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

Xilinx ISE 14.2 and Windows 8

Visitor

Re: Xilinx ISE 14.2 and Windows 8

I have a 5 year old HP desktop computer that I updated from 32-bit Vista to 64-bit Win8 pro for $40 last October and ISE 14.3 works great with no problems.

I just bought a Lenovo Ideapad Yoga 13 laptop and installed ISE 14.3 and ran into all the problems mentioned above.  I click the copy license button and the program exits.  When I try to load a project and get a blah.exe program encountered and error and ISE shuts down.

I was floored.  I believe the difference is that my laptop has 64-bit Win8 basic instead of pro.  Could this be the difference?  All the other software I've loaded seems to run fine.

Anyway, I can't wait to try the nt vs nt64 fix to see if I'm up and running.

By the way, the Yoga is pretty nice.

Visitor

That did the trick.  Running nt/ise.exe instead of nt64/ise.exe gets the tool working fine on Window 8 regular.  On my other machine with Windows 8 Pro, I can use either nt64/ise.exe or nt/ise.exe.  Very strange but at least it now works on both my machines.

Visitor

I found an other solution. I'm a beginner but I think the problem is the 32bits version of fuse.exe, the ISim compilator.

1. Rename \Xilinx\14.2\ISE_DS\ISE\bin\nt\fuse.exe into fuse_original.exe

2. Copy \Xilinx\14.2\ISE_DS\ISE\bin\nt64\fuse.exe

3. Paste it into \Xilinx\14.2\ISE_DS\ISE\bin\nt\

4. Lauch Xilinx\14.2\ISE_DS\ISE\bin\nt\ise.exe

Now, my 32b ISE works very well on Windows 8.

Any luck with Impact tools and Win8?

Trying to run the USB II cable (which does show up in the device manager) with Impact and both 32bit and 64bit are crapping out.

64 bit can find the chain but then crashes when trying to creat an IPF file.  32bit can't even see the USB II cable.

Visitor

I also have problems with iMPACT. I cant find my cable with it. 
Other thing. I cant use ModelSIM PE Student Edition integrated. Tried to edit .ini files with no success.
I will continue to use ISE with virtual machine. Maybe I should install win7 to external drive for speed and stuff... 

I've found a workaround for impact on windows 8 64-bit.

Create the ipf with 32-bit impact and save it, change to 64bit and search the chain, press ctrl+s to save, change to 32-bit and assign programming files, save the file, change to 64-bit and program.

Visitor

If you are using windows 8 Pro it contains a virtual manager that can be turned on. If you do so you can install windows 7 as a virtual PC and then install ISE.

I got the same issue, did you find the solution?

Carlos

Observer

For everyone trying to use Xilinx ISE 14.5 in Windows 8 x64. Rename libPortability.dll to libPortability.dll.orig, and copy libPortabilityNOSH.dll to libPortability.dll.

Do this in:

C:\Xilinx\14.5\ISE_DS\ISE\lib\nt64

C:\Xilinx\14.5\ISE_DS\common\lib\nt64 (copy dll from first location)

This turns off SmartHeap.

This will fix ISE and iMPACT crashes on file dialogs.

Nachum

This information was found from another thread, thank you howardp from Xilinx in this thread:

http://forums.xilinx.com/xlnx/board/crawl_message?board.id=DEENBD&message.id=1732

AThank you nachum. After much searching this renaming libPortability makes it possible to run ISE 14.5  x64 in WIndows 8.

I tried starting it from nt, I had to set compatability for programs like sh2hdl that hung.

I Installed UBUNTU 12.4 on HyperDrive-V, downloaded ISE 14.5 under UBUNTU ( that was slow ), It took a bit of searching to find out how to install ISE ( much typing of commands in terminal ) and then how to write a shell script to start ISE. ISE is not friendly under UBUNTU. Then getting a WebPack license was interesting, I ended up with a 30 day trial.