Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

ise license will not run vivado synthesis

Jump to solution

I have an ISE System Edition with license date December of 2018.  I have been running smoothly for the past couple of years with ISE 13.4 and 14.7.  I am upgrading to a newer part and have been having troubles using the license with Vivado 15.4 and 18.2.  I get synthesis errors related to not having a valid license for the part I am targeting.  Does an ISE license allow me to use the Vivado tools?  I checked the community boards and documentation and am sure I have the right license file, node locked dongle, flexid software set up correctly using Vivado License Manager.  Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Hello @jeff7 ,

Please note that you'd get an ISE license for free with any Vivado purchased license. So, if you'd get Vivado System Edition, you'd get an ISE System Edition license for free. You can't buy an ISE standalone license. And also, Xilinx gives a free full ISE Embedded edition to all users who has a valid Xilinx.com profile.
That is not the case with Vivado. Xilinx only offers a free Vivado 30-days evaluation license.

So, If you have bought Vivado System Edition license back in 2018, then you should have it under your www.xilinx.com/getlicenses profile. Can you check and see if Vivado license is under your profile (well, if you are the person who has purchased this back in 2018, as this license is only added to a user who've originally purchased this in the first place).
Please note that there will be one license called Vivado System Edition and separately, ISE System Edition license.
Perhaps you've only generated an ISE license but not your Vivado one?

Please open your lic file, do you see ISE_System_Edition as well as Vivado_System_Edition in the same lic file?

You can share your lic file and your xinfo report (generated on that particular PC where you see the licensing failure) and I can examine these and then should be able to detect the root cause of this issue.

Xinfo.txt can be generated by running the "report_environment –file xinfo.txt" command in Vivado TCL console.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher
ISE and vivado are different tools.

What device are you trying to design ? the free web pack of Vivado covers a good selection of parts.
<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Kintex UltraScale XCKU060 FPGA - not available in webpack unfortunately

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello @jeff7 ,

Indeed, XCKU060 requires a full Vivado related license file. Your ISE license won't be valid for Vivado, as correctly indicated by @drjohnsmith , ISE and Vivado are totally different tools. 

You can use a 30-days Vivado evaluation license for now, and after 30-day, if you must to continue designing your project targeting XCKU060 part, in this case, you'd need to purchase a full Vivado license.

However, if you can switch from XCKU060 to one of the WebPACK supported devices (https://www.xilinx.com/products/design-tools/vivado/vivado-webpack.html#architecture), that would be an alternative way for you to overcome this issue, as you'd not need to buy any Vivado related licenses in this case.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Thank you Mr. Curran for your prompt reply.

I am assuming if we bought a Vivado license in late 2018 we could have gotten ISE for *Free*.  However, since we bought an ISE license we cannot use Vivado,.  Strange?

Thanks again. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello @jeff7 ,

Please note that you'd get an ISE license for free with any Vivado purchased license. So, if you'd get Vivado System Edition, you'd get an ISE System Edition license for free. You can't buy an ISE standalone license. And also, Xilinx gives a free full ISE Embedded edition to all users who has a valid Xilinx.com profile.
That is not the case with Vivado. Xilinx only offers a free Vivado 30-days evaluation license.

So, If you have bought Vivado System Edition license back in 2018, then you should have it under your www.xilinx.com/getlicenses profile. Can you check and see if Vivado license is under your profile (well, if you are the person who has purchased this back in 2018, as this license is only added to a user who've originally purchased this in the first place).
Please note that there will be one license called Vivado System Edition and separately, ISE System Edition license.
Perhaps you've only generated an ISE license but not your Vivado one?

Please open your lic file, do you see ISE_System_Edition as well as Vivado_System_Edition in the same lic file?

You can share your lic file and your xinfo report (generated on that particular PC where you see the licensing failure) and I can examine these and then should be able to detect the root cause of this issue.

Xinfo.txt can be generated by running the "report_environment –file xinfo.txt" command in Vivado TCL console.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Thanks Mr. Curran for your prompt reply.

A colleague of mine gave me the 2018 ISE System Edition license file that I was asking all of these questions about.  It turns out my colleague *does* have a Vivado System Edition license file in his account, so we are all good.  Thanks again.