Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

ise webpack for a custom board

Jump to solution

Hi all,

I would like to ask you if it possible to use the webpack XILINX tools in a custom educational board.

We want to design and implements a custom board with a spartan 6 device and we want to teach VHDL, picoblaze and microblaze.

So, is it possible to use ISE design tools, and EDK and any other available tools in the webpack version of the ISE for our educational labs?

Thank you.

Regards,

Paris

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Hi @pkitsos,

Yes you should be able to use all the devices ranging from XC6SLX4  to XC6SLX75T.

The best way for you to check is to download and install the webPack edition and try to generate a bitstream for the device you are planing to use.

Kind Regards,

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Highlighted

Hi @pkitsos,

You may want to look at UG631:

spartan-6.JPG

ISE webPack edition supports only some devices. So you have to use those devices if you want to use it.

Kind Regards,

Florent

Florent
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Dear Florent,

please verify that I can use all the devices ranging from XC6SLX4  to XC6SLX75T in a custom board that it will design by my lab.

Regards,

Paris

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @pkitsos,

Yes you should be able to use all the devices ranging from XC6SLX4  to XC6SLX75T.

The best way for you to check is to download and install the webPack edition and try to generate a bitstream for the device you are planing to use.

Kind Regards,

Florent

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Thank you very much for the info.

P.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor
Advisor

@pkitsos I'd really question whether designing a new board with a Spartan 6 on it is a good idea these days. The Spartan 6 is getting pretty old - as is ISE. There won't be any new software coming out for the Spartan 6 (the new software is Vivado, but it doesn't support anything older than the 7-series chips) and there won't be any new chips coming out that support ISE. In effect, both of them are dead-end platforms.

Better to spend a little bit more money and put a Spartan 7 on it (brand new chip, supported by Vivado WebPack). Or spend a bit more again and put a Zynq on there, which greatly reduces reliance on the expensive Xilinx JTAG adaptors (because Zynq can boot from a microSD card) and gives your students experience with a "modern" SoC.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

in the information page about ISE webpack (https://www.xilinx.com/products/design-tools/ise-design-suite/ise-webpack.html) mentions that the ISE webpack does not support microblaze. In the previous message you had mention the the ISE webpack support microblaze.

What is wrong?

ise_webpack_features.png
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @pkitsos,

From UG631 (link):

ISE.JPG

I am not supporting ISE so I cannot tell you that this is really included but I do not see any reason why it would not be included.

Then, as mentioned previously, you just have to create a project and try before buying the parts.

And this is still recommended to use vivado and one of the supported devices (spartan-7 is now in production).

Regards,

Florent

Florent
0 Kudos