UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

vivado.exe does not exist - My vivado.exe has gone missing due to antivirus "help"

Accepted Solution Solved
Highlighted
Adventurer
Accepted Solution

vivado.exe does not exist - My vivado.exe has gone missing due to antivirus "help"

Hi,

Background: I have been using Vivado (2018.1) fine but the antivirus at my work sometimes blocks xsim and vivado.exe when launching vivado and running simulations etc. Usually I add exceptions to the AV software and I can keep working fine. Most recently, my antivirus crashed while seeminginly moving vivado.exe into its virus chest. Usually this would be an issue for AV company and not Xilinx, however this antivirus does not allow me to move the vivado.exe back into its directory, due to some broken stuff happening in the antivirus itself I think.

I tried running vivado.bat to find out where exactly the file goes missing, and the output I get is:

C:\Xilinx\Vivado\2018.1\bin>vivado.bat
ERROR: Could not find 64-bit executable.
ERROR: C:/Xilinx/Vivado/2018.1/bin/unwrapped/win64.o/vivado.exe does not exist

Sure enough, the vivado.exe has disappeared from the directory when I look for it manually. 

Note: I'm sure that it is possible to fix this with a fresh vivado install, but I am concerned about my licenses, which have expired. I am using 2018.1 and am not planning to upgrade so that I can continue developing for my board. Is there a way for me to repair Vivado WITHOUT wrecking my license? Any other advice for how I can get Vivado functional again with my licenses?

Thanks for your time,

Aaron

--- Estimated Development time: 2*Pi*(planned completion date) ---

Accepted Solutions

Re: vivado.exe does not exist - My vivado.exe has gone missing due to antivirus "help"

[ Edited ]

Hi @aaron_holliday, if you have a valid 2018.1 license then uninstalling and re-installing will not affect the license.

If rebooting doesn't solve the problem, then uninstall and re-install Vivado.  

You may find the information in AR# 57386 helpful.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

View solution in original post

All Replies

Re: vivado.exe does not exist - My vivado.exe has gone missing due to antivirus "help"

[ Edited ]

Hi @aaron_holliday, if you have a valid 2018.1 license then uninstalling and re-installing will not affect the license.

If rebooting doesn't solve the problem, then uninstall and re-install Vivado.  

You may find the information in AR# 57386 helpful.

Adventurer

@peadard okay, thanks, I will reinstall Vivado - the thing about my license is that it was valid, but the timer has expired on it. I hope that still means I can reinstall. Regarding information at AR# 57386, I read this already and that is why I tried running launcher from cmd. I will try reinstalling and reporting back. I appreciate the help.

Adventurer

Okay, I have reinstalled Vivado and the license appears to be fine. For any others who encounter a similar problem, it seems as though as long as you stick to the version of Vivado you had before you reinstall, and use your valid license (expired or otherwise) then you can reinstall as normal. Thanks @peadard , kudos and marked as solved.

Hi @aaron_holliday, that's good news, glad to hear it. Just to clarify, all licenses have a version limit. This version limit corresponds to a year and a month, for example, 2018.04 corresponds to April 2018, and to the end of the warranty period.

The license enables any version of the software released before the end of the version limit month. Also, it means that you cannot use any software released after this date. 

Adventurer

@peadard understood. The time limit is the reason I was wary about reinstalling Vivado and pursuing another potential fix first. Either way, it is fixed now. Did not know that the second number corresponded to date. Thanks