Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jschamba
Adventurer
Adventurer

vivado on "bash for windows?

Jump to solution

Now that Windows 10 has a "Linux" system (bash for windows, based on Ubuntu), can Vivado installed on that system as a Linux installation?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
watari
Teacher
Teacher

Hi @salman 

Yes. You can't fix your issue if you use WSL.

# about WSL

Emulate Linux system call. Not run true linux system.

So, you can't find ex. /dev/sda1.

It has some limitations.

# about WSL2

Use hyperbyzer thecnology to emulate Linux system like running Virtual Machine.

So, you can find ex. /dev/sda1.

It has only one limitation for hyperbyzer.

Best regards,

View solution in original post

18 Replies
jmartinez
Adventurer
Adventurer

I was able to install and open it running a X11 server for remote linux display. The problem for me is to set up the enviroment variables in WSL because when I run vivado in WSL the path enviroment is pointing to the windows based Vivado intall folder and lookinf gor the Lin64 path(linux vivado dir).

0 Kudos
chiplukes
Participant
Participant

Has anyone else had any recent success with running Vivado under Windows Subsystem for Linux?

I recently got a new desktop pc at work and did some benchmarks comparing build times in Linux vs Windows 10 and found Linux to be substantially faster (~45%).

Unfortunately I am stuck with Windows due to a few EDA tools (Altium, etc.).  WSL has been super convenient lately when I need a linux environment.  I realize that the performance increase that I am seeing between Linux and Windows may not apply with WSL, but such a setup would be super useful if it did.

Anyway, just curious if anyone here has gone down this rabbit hole lately :)

0 Kudos
chiplukes
Participant
Participant

In case anyone is interested, I was successful in installing Vivado into Windows Subsystem for Linux.  I followed the answer from Guest here: https://askubuntu.com/questions/993225/whats-the-easiest-way-to-run-gui-apps-on-wsl-as-of-2018

I was able to use the GUI to install Vivado and then run project build scripts in non-project mode.

As expected, building a FPGA under WSL was a little slower than under Windows.  Unfortunately, no big performance gain as you would get running Vivado under Linux.

salman
Observer
Observer

I got it working in both cmd line and gui on WSL Ubuntu 18.04. I am trying to see my VC707 board on it. I don't see the dmesg showing if it sees the board. It only shows one line.

ssheikh@GSSLW19050055:~/picorv32/scripts/vivado$ dmesg|more
[ 0.013342] Microsoft 4.4.0-17763.379-Microsoft 4.4.35

0 Kudos
salman
Observer
Observer

You have to remove the xilinx path from the windows PATH environment variable and souce the settings64.sh in the Xilinx Vivado directory to get the linux executable. 

0 Kudos
watari
Teacher
Teacher

Hi @jschamba 

I suggest you to use WSL2 instead of WSL, called "bash on windows", for some reason.

Best regards,

0 Kudos
amitavm

Hello Salman, 

Sorry to bother you, but I've just come across your comment and its relevant to my situation. I've been successful in using Vivado remotely over ssh previously, but now that I've installed Vivado on my personal machine I encounter an error when I try to source settings64.sh using Windows Subsystem for Linux. I've removed the xilinx path from my windows environment variable, yet I still get this error. Could you help me understand the issue? Thank you.

source settings64.JPG
0 Kudos
watari
Teacher
Teacher

Hi @amitavm 

> I've removed the xilinx path from my windows environment variable, yet I still get this error. Could you help me understand the issue?

This error is relevant to settings* files.

Because these files are generated by installer.

In this case, there is wrong path in them.

So, you must properly modify path in them.

Would you share the following result, if you can't fix it by yourself.

$ cat settings64.sh

$ df -k -T

Best regards,

0 Kudos
amitavm

Hi @watari 

Thank you for replying with an explanation. I've located the valid settings64 files, but I'm not sure how to modify the path in them. I've attached the information on disk space and contents of the settings file. Thanks again for your help!

cat settings64.JPG
0 Kudos
watari
Teacher
Teacher

Hi @amitavm 

Did you install Vivado for Windows ?

If yes, would you install Vivado for Linux instead of Vivado for Windows ?

BTW, here is modification for PATH setting.

Refer the following.

export PATH=/mnt/d/Xilinx/Vivado/2019.2/bin:/mnt/d/Xilinx/Vivado/2019.2/lib/win64.o

Best regards,

amitavm

@watari 

I did install Vivado for Windows 10, perhaps I could install the Linux version. Thanks again for your help with the PATH settings, I'm still having difficulty sourcing the settings file but I will try to work it out on my own. I appreciate your responses!

0 Kudos
salman
Observer
Observer

I actually had my sysadmin install this x-server in windows https://sourceforge.net/projects/vcxsrv/ so that I could actually install the Linux version of Xilinx Vivado within WSL. I don't think the windows binaries will work in WSL (perhaps, I'm wrong). I needed the x-server because Xilinx requires a gui to install instead some tools which used to be able to be installed via cmd line only (like Modelsim). So, now I have 2 Vivado installs one on Windows and one on WSL. I do sometimes have the problem that the windows binary trys to open when I type vivado at the cmd prompt but thats because Windows PATH variable has it in their and apparently WSL inherits the path. I actually went into my environment variable in windows to remove the Vivado from the path (I added it myself, so I could run vivado from the cmd prompt of windows but found the design I'm trying to get working (picrov32 on a VC707) is built using make scripts and cmd line version of the vivado tools not the GUI. 

0 Kudos
salman
Observer
Observer

Yes, that is what I did. 

ssheikh@GSSLW19050055:~$ source /tools/Xilinx/Vivado/2019.1/settings64.sh
ssheikh@GSSLW19050055:~$ which vivado
/tools/Xilinx/Vivado/2019.1/bin/vivado
ssheikh@GSSLW19050055:~$

I'm still having issues with the Hardware Manager within the GUI to find the connected board in WSL so after my make file created a bit file inside of Linux, I copied the bit file out to windows, started up Vivado Hardware manager in windows and programmed the board. I ran all the install drivers script needded for linux and it copied all the rules files into /etc/dev but it doesn't see the board. Not sure if this is something I can fix or it will be remedied in WSL 2. We are running a build of WIn10 older than the minimum required for WSL2 beta so I will have to wait until its updated to try WSL2 to see if that will fix my seeing the board h/w issues. 

0 Kudos

Windows always had a Linux system. It's called Virtual Machine. 

0 Kudos
watari
Teacher
Teacher

Hi @salman 

Yes. You can't fix your issue if you use WSL.

# about WSL

Emulate Linux system call. Not run true linux system.

So, you can't find ex. /dev/sda1.

It has some limitations.

# about WSL2

Use hyperbyzer thecnology to emulate Linux system like running Virtual Machine.

So, you can find ex. /dev/sda1.

It has only one limitation for hyperbyzer.

Best regards,

View solution in original post

fiedel
Explorer
Explorer

Anyone installed PetaLinux in WSL? I know it os very picky for Linux version. I'm curious if it works in the Ubuntu from windows store.

0 Kudos
salman
Observer
Observer

Can Peta Linux be installed on WSL? I thought it was for actual embedded hardware processors not on WSL. Because WSL is for the x86_64 architecture. Is PetaLinux ported to x86_64? 

0 Kudos
fiedel
Explorer
Explorer

My appology if I confused you. I meant installing Petalinux sdk in WSL. I'm sure I'll only run my projects on Zynq ***.

0 Kudos