UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Teacher eteam00
Teacher

7 series MIG supports dual-rank DDR3?

Jump to solution

I'm running Vivado 14.4 with MIG v2.3.  I am so far unable to generate a dual-rank controller for DDR3 components.

Am I clueless, or is dual-rank support not yet included?

Specifics:  Kintex-7, x8 DDR3 devices, seeking 32bit data width (4 byte lanes) x 2 ranks.

Base part:  Micron MT41K512M8 (512M x 8b)

I can select data width and base part correctly, but I have not yet found in the MIG UI a user-selectable option for single vs. dual (or multiple) rank support.  If 64bit data width was a viable option for this board design, then the path of least resistance might be to select a dual-rank UDIMM or SODIMM, but this design is constrained to 32b data width.

Thanks, in advance, for your help...  (and yes, I DID search docs, website, and forums...)

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: 7 series MIG supports dual-rank DDR3?

Jump to solution

Hi Bob,

Yes there is no direct option to select the rank in the GUI,it totally depends on the component or dimms selected.

If your selected component of dual rank is not present in the list of memory parts of GUI,you can select one of the dual rank component as base part and use the create custom part option to generate MIG for your part.

Below is an example snapshot and more details about custom part can be found in UG586

dualrank.png

Regards,

Satish

--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
--------------------------------------------------​-------------------------------------------
6 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi Bob,

Yes there is no direct option to select the rank in the GUI,it totally depends on the component or dimms selected.

If your selected component of dual rank is not present in the list of memory parts of GUI,you can select one of the dual rank component as base part and use the create custom part option to generate MIG for your part.

Below is an example snapshot and more details about custom part can be found in UG586

dualrank.png

Regards,

Satish

--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
--------------------------------------------------​-------------------------------------------
Teacher eteam00
Teacher

Jump to solution

Thank you for the quick answer.

I respectfully submit to Xilinx that this indirect approach to memory architecture selection is just plain flat-out wrong.

Example:  dual-rank memory array built from single-rank parts.

You should NOT be required to select a twin-die device as the 'base' device, as this requires an intimate knowledge of each and every twin-die part in the MIG drop-down menu to discern which twin-die component selection best matches the single-die device you REALLY want to use.

Secondly, if this is the Xilinx-preferred method of selecting single-rank vs. dual-rank memory arrays, then components in the drop-down menu should be labeled -- explicitly! - whether they are single-die (single-rank) or twin-die (dual-rank) devices.  It is NOT easy to discern from the Micron part number whether the device is single-die or twin-die -- you very much need the Micron part number lookup table to make this determination.

This should be fixed!  Whose attention do I need to get in order to formally propose (and register) an appropriate solution?

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi Bob,

The concerns raised by you were discussed but for MIG7 series no enhancements were being signed up.

However if you have a webcase please file one and I can take it forward with a CR.

Regards,

Vanitha

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please do google search before posting, you may find relavant information.
Mark the post - "Accept as solution" and give kudos if information provided is helpful and reply oriented
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Teacher eteam00
Teacher

Jump to solution

Vanitha,

Thanks for the quick and plain reply.  I will pursue a webcase for this issue.  As Gen 7 is the flagship of the Xilinx product line (and will be for some years), it is in Xilinx' best interests to either add useful clarity to the MIG wizard interface...

.. or (at a bare minimum) document the counter-intuitive steps required to construct a dual-rank memory array built from components (this should be added to the MIG 7 Memory Interface Solutions UG, UG586).

Any helpful suggestions for composing the webcase submission will be appreciated.

Again, thank you!

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:

Summary:
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi Bob,

I suspect if the GUI will be enhanced/fixed and hence requested a webcase approach,  but I believe documentation fix woulbe be possible and I can file a CR straight away.

But if you wish to file a web case I feel the notes can be as simple as referring this forum thread and asking for a CR

Regards,

Vanitha

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please do google search before posting, you may find relavant information.
Mark the post - "Accept as solution" and give kudos if information provided is helpful and reply oriented
Visitor 303330
Visitor

Jump to solution

Hi Bob, Vanitha,

maybe you can help me.

I'm having a simmilar issue: I need to create a Micron MT41K512M16TNA-125.

This is a dual rank part but with 16 bit data width.

Because of this I'm not able to create the part in the way described here because there is no dual rank x16 part I can use as a starting point. Neither rank nor data width can be specified in the "Create Custom Part" so I'm basically stuck. The part is based on the MT41K256M16 so I should select this as a base part and "just" enable dual rank. As described by Bob this is not possible. Only x8 parts are available as dual ranks, so I can't use any of these as starting point.

Is there any workaround? Can I use the Ultrascale MIG (there this issue got fixed) and import the generated part somehow into the V7 MIG?

Thanks,

Martin

0 Kudos