Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sambangi.ramesh
Visitor
Visitor

Designing appropriate Memory controller for specific DDR3 SDRAM

DDR3 memory controller :

I have taken a Block ram of size 256(width)x512, we send serially 256 write commands and accordingly 512 data items(256bit). We are able to see the corresponding signals at the DDR memory side. We read back this data and verified it with the contents of our Block RAM, it is working perfectly.

So i move to the next chunk of 256 commands. Here when i observed at the DDR side memory  signals the address are going on correctly, but the data sent is missing first two 256bit data items. I am not able to find the reason behind it.

User interface information:

app_addr width 28 bit.

ddr_DQ data bus width 72 bit

interface clock 200MHZ

DDR3 frequency is 400MHZ

for every address i am sending 512 bits (BC8 burst length)

0 Kudos
5 Replies
yenigal
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi

Is this seen in simulation or hardware.

Can you upload the captures showing the issue to look at it and give you suggestions.

Regards,

Satish

--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
--------------------------------------------------​-------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
sambangi.ramesh
Visitor
Visitor

This is happening in simulation

0 Kudos
vsrunga
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

I donot think data will be missing but suspect it might not be properly aligned.

Please cross check your app_* interface signal timings againt the ones given in UG586 command, write and read interface timing diagrams and make sure that max delay between command and corresponding write is not more than 2 clocks

Also visit below links for relavant discussions

http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/MIG-Memory-Interface-Generator/can-there-be-1-or-2-empty-cycle-delay-between-two-halves-of-BL8/m-p/364047#M4380

http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/MIG-Memory-Interface-Generator/Mig-User-Interface-Back-To-Back-Timing/td-p/503861

http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/MIG-Memory-Interface-Generator/MIG-DDR3-questions-about-delays-and-buffers-depthes/td-p/272216

Hope this helps

-Vanitha

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please do google search before posting, you may find relavant information.
Mark the post - "Accept as solution" and give kudos if information provided is helpful and reply oriented
0 Kudos
sambangi.ramesh
Visitor
Visitor

hi,

I am also attaching screen shots of how RAM address and data changing at starting each write cycle.

during start of write cycle the RAM enable signal is asserted but address pointer increment is not  starting from zero

I am taking about the signals present in u_ui_top/ui_write_data/wdf_rdy_ns  , wr_data and rd_addr_w. 

1st write.png
2nd write.png
3rd write.png
0 Kudos
vsrunga
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

What is your Vivado Version and which simualtor is this?

Are you using MIG generated memory model and supported simulators ?

Can you send us your ready to simulate design for investigation or vcd wavs form dumps with all the required signals?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please do google search before posting, you may find relavant information.
Mark the post - "Accept as solution" and give kudos if information provided is helpful and reply oriented
0 Kudos