Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
xil_azdem
Explorer
Explorer

MIG quick start example design

Dear All,

As explained in ug586, I am trying to use the MIG quick start example design in order to verify the DDR3 interface on our custom board with Artix 7. I have 2 questions regarding that:

1. "dbg_init_calib_complete" signal always asserts ca. 3 seconds after deassertion of "ui_clk_sync_rst", although it takes only ~120 us during simulation. Is that normal? 

2. As seen on the picture below, I always get a compare error ("dbg_tg_compare_error" asserts) with the first "dbg_cmp_data_valid" assertion, although the compare data and the read data are the same (but "dbg_rddata_valid_r" is not asseted, which is strange). I have not changed anything within the example_top design. I have just added a MMCM to provide the needed 100 and 200MHz clock sources. Could you give me a hint beyond the page 254 of ug586?

Data compare error

Note: Vivado 14.4 and the latest MIG version are being used.

Regards,

Aziz

0 Kudos
6 Replies
vsrunga
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

1. Based on your core configuration 120 us is possible and once calib_complete is asserted it always stays high,  this should be fine.

2. Error should not toggle, if this is with example design and you changed the clocks,  did you use No_Buf option?

also is this system or reference clock? did you change it in sim_tb_top as well?

Also please check below link for general guidliness on deriving clocks from existing MMCM

http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/43876.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please do google search before posting, you may find relavant information.
Mark the post - "Accept as solution" and give kudos if information provided is helpful and reply oriented
0 Kudos
xil_azdem
Explorer
Explorer

Hi vsrunga,

thanks a lot for the reply.

1. I meant, is it normal, that it takes 3 seconds on real hardware, although it takes just 120us at simulation?

2. Error does not toggle at simulation. The picture above is from logic analyzer, not from the simulation.

Regards...
0 Kudos
vsrunga
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

1. Yes, 3 sec in HW is normal

2. If it is in HW please change check if it is write or read issue, you can use debug steps from AR43879 pdf and do step by step analysis  http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/43879.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mark the post - "Accept as solution" and give kudos if information provided is helpful and reply oriented
0 Kudos
xil_azdem
Explorer
Explorer

Just to add:

Yes, I used no_buffer option at MIG.
I have a differential 100 MHz input clock and I have used the clk wizard to generate the 200 MHz reference clock manually. I do not get any critical warnings etc. regarding the timing. I did edit also the sim_tb_top and the simulation passes succesfully, without any errors.
0 Kudos
xil_azdem
Explorer
Explorer

Hi, 

Note: Starting with the release of MIG 7 Series v1.9, this debug content has been moved to the 7 Series FPGAs Memory Interface Solutions User Guide. Please reference the "Debugging DDR3/DDR2 Designs" section.

---

It seems that this AR# 43879, troubleshooting guide has been merged to the UG586. I have already refered to the mentioned section and I could trigger directly to the happening error, as explained starting from page 254.

I always get a compare error ("dbg_tg_compare_error" asserts), although the compare data and the read data are the same.

This case is not covered within the mentioned section.

I suspect that the example design has a kind of flaw, rather than the DDR3 controller itself...

I would be very glad, if you can give me a hint: What could be the problem with the example design? or   

0 Kudos
vsrunga
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

HI,

We do not have any Known issus on example design asserting error flag in absence of data errors.

Even though data is same I suspect there might be alignment issues like  address and data mismatch.

How many boards have this issue and how often teh error flag is asserted ? I would suggest to change address and data patterns so that you might have some clues on what is happening.

Also in place of traffic gen you can have a simple fsm write your own known data, read and comapre it and see how it goes.

Hope this helps

-Vanitha

0 Kudos