cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using DDR4 instead of DDR3

Greetings all,

I am going to customize one the TI development boards and I am going to replace a  DDR3 MT41K512M16HA with  DDR4 MT40A1G16RC chip since it has cheaper price and higher size.

Can I use a DDR4 instead of a DDR3 chip? would it cause any limitations or restrictions? Do you have any experience using a DDR4 instead of a DDR3 chip.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Advisor
Advisor

No, it's absolutely not going to work if you just swap the chips. If you do a whole board redesign around the DDR4 RAM (eg. to handle the different voltage requirements etc), and if the memory controller can cope with DDR4 (if it doesn't say that it can cope with DDR4, then it can't cope with DDR4), and if you modify the software to set the memory controller to use DDR4, then it might work.

Also, why are you posting about a TI board on the Xilinx forums?

Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hello @shahram-t 

As @u4223374 mentions, Xilinx does not recommend DDR4 with DDR3 PCB routing.  It is quite different about routing between DDR3 and DDR4 in UG583, hence it does not work well.

Attached is a one of snap shot in UG583.

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/user_guides/ug583-ultrascale-pcb-design.pdf

Best regards,

Kshimizu

Product Application Engineer Xilinx Technical Support

-------------------------------------------------------

Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.  Please Give Kudos.

-------------------------------------------------------

routing.PNG

Are you using the DDR3/DDR4 controller of Xilinx?

-----------------------------------------------------Please don't forget to give kudos or accept as solution if information provided is helpful.---------------------------------------------------------------------