UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

XCKU5P-1FFVB676 DDR3 Modules

Jump to solution

Hi all, my question is similar to this one here.

Can I have an XCKU5P-1FFVB676 with four 16bits DDR3 Modules? If so, how can I find out which pins connect to what?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Voyager
Voyager

Re: XCKU5P-1FFVB676 DDR3 Modules

Jump to solution

The design flow for the MIG has changed a lot since that video was made.  Expect bumps in the road.

If you're using the "Example Design" flow from the video and not using IP Integrator, it's going to be difficult to get more than one controller instantiated.  If you still want to follow that flow, go back to @8:45 of the video to see the step you missed (Open IP Example Design...). You need to open that new project in order to proceed through implementation.

2019-02-08_8-01-02.jpg

The flow I'd recommend is using IPI to create a block diagram. Place one MIG IP and then configure it for your memory set-up. Then copy and paste that IP 3 more times. You can use the block diagram I created in the post you referenced above (cramming 4 DDR interfaces into an S7 FPGA) as a guide to get a complete design with all 4 controllers that you can carry all the way through implementation.

The core of your BD, however, will be 4 separate MIGs, rather than a single, 4-controller MIG:

2019-02-08_8-05-56.jpg

-Joe G.

13 Replies
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

I've got an update on this.

I've found this link on this page and apparently yes, I can have four DDR3 16bits <=512M.

Now the only question is, how can I find out which pins I can connect the modules to?

0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

Jump to solution

You're going to have to fire-up Vivado and start flinging MIG IPs* into a block diagram--to see where you can place DDR pins. They'll likely go in the 4 HP banks that exist in your chip, but you'll have to go through the whole FPGA-design process to ascertain exact pin locations.

-Joe G.

*Sadly, the Ultrascale MIG only allows you to create one controller at a time (S7 MIG lets you create up to 4 in one IP), so you'll need to configure one and then replicate it 3 more times.

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Thank you for replying @jg_bds

I've created a Vivado project and added one DDR3 (MIG). I'm now trying to open the I/O Planning environment by clicking on 'Open Elaborated Design' but I get an error since I don't have a Top module. Is there a way around it? I don't have any code written yet, I just want to make sure that it is actually possible to have four DDRs and which pins I can connect them to.

This video here shows what I would like to accomplish, but unfortunately they have changed the MIG IP so it's not that simple anymore.

0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

Jump to solution

The design flow for the MIG has changed a lot since that video was made.  Expect bumps in the road.

If you're using the "Example Design" flow from the video and not using IP Integrator, it's going to be difficult to get more than one controller instantiated.  If you still want to follow that flow, go back to @8:45 of the video to see the step you missed (Open IP Example Design...). You need to open that new project in order to proceed through implementation.

2019-02-08_8-01-02.jpg

The flow I'd recommend is using IPI to create a block diagram. Place one MIG IP and then configure it for your memory set-up. Then copy and paste that IP 3 more times. You can use the block diagram I created in the post you referenced above (cramming 4 DDR interfaces into an S7 FPGA) as a guide to get a complete design with all 4 controllers that you can carry all the way through implementation.

The core of your BD, however, will be 4 separate MIGs, rather than a single, 4-controller MIG:

2019-02-08_8-05-56.jpg

-Joe G.

Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Hello @jg_bds Thank you for replying.

I've tried the flow you recommended and I believe I'm almost there, but Vivado is getting stuck on something. I've done the block diagram below, and when I click on 'Open Elaborated Design' the program gets stuck on 'Running design_1_ddr3_1_0_synth_1'. On my Tcl Console I get 'Waiting for design_1_ddr3_1_0_synth_1 to finish...' every few seconds. Please note that I didn't place the clock buffers as you did on your other post.

temp.png

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Voyager
Voyager

Jump to solution

To be honest, I haven't built an US/US+ MIG since 2017.4.  When I tried to synthesize in 18.2, Vivado soiled the sheets.  I upgraded to 18.3, and was able to get through synthesis.

What version are you using?

2019-02-11_8-04-48.jpg

-Joe G.

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

I'm using Vivado 18.3.

I've swapped the AXI SmartConnect to AXI Interconnect as your latest block diagram and now the design gets through synthesis/implementation. Thank you!

Now the question is, how can I see which net is connected to which package pin? When I click on 'Open Elaborated Design' it shows me only one DDR device, not four.

0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

Jump to solution

Well, nothing's connected to an FPGA pin until you connect it.

After Synth completes, open the Synthesized design. Do Menu Bar -> Tools -> I/O Planning -> Memory Byte Planner to rough-assign the memory bytes of the DDR interfaces.

After that, if you don't see the I/O Ports tab on the bottom part of the screen, do Menu Bar -> Layout -> I/O Planning.

Go through all of the ports and make sure all of the assignments look ok.  Also assign any of the other, unassigned design ports.

After that's done, save and then proceed with Implementation.

-Joe G.

P.S.  Make sure the I/O Std of the DDR Reset signals are all set to LVCMOS15, not SSTL15.

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Oh I see, I thought they would be auto-assigned.

After synth completes, when I click on the Memory Byte Planner, I can only see one DDR. Why are the other 3 missing?

temp.png

0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

Jump to solution

Dunno.

2019-02-11_10-44-30.jpg

If you ran Synth with all 4 MIG's, they should be there.

-Joe G.

P.S.  Assign the 2 data bytes and leave-off Add/Ctrl-2. There will be fewer ports to assign manually.

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Hmm.. All 4 MIGs are there. My block diagram is the same as yours.

Would you mind sharing this project you are running? I'd like to check what the differences are.

0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

Jump to solution

Here you go.

-Joe G.

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Thanks a million @jg_bds !!!!! That's exactly what I was trying to do.

P.S.: I still don't know why my design only showed a single DDR since our block diagrams are identical.

0 Kudos