UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer hanekamp
Observer

Does the 'Ethernet 1000BASE-X PCS/PMA or SGMII' core (SMII mode) support 1000BASE-T Full Duplex

Hello,

Currently I’m working on a design for VC709 board where I want to have two sets of a "Ethernet 1000BASE-X PCS/PMA or SGMII" and "Tri Mode Ethernet Mac" combo connected to SFP/SFP+ cages on the board. The idea is to configure the Xilinx IP cores for 1000BASE-T over twisted copper. The modules are configured like
The Ethernet 1000BASE-X PCS/PMA or SGMII module:
- SGMII mode
- Device Specific Transceivers
- MAC mode, SGMII PHY mode not enabled. (On advice from Xilinx since the SFP should contain a PHY inside.)

The Tri Mode Ethernet Mac Core:
- PHY Interface Internal (as described in pg047 page 250)
- Tri speed
- AXI4-lite configuration interface.

While trying to get a proper medium link I discovered the SGMII Extended status register (register 15) on page 108 of PG047 manual. This register describes the supported configurations. From the manual it seems that 1000BASE-T Full Duplex is not supported. Reading back this register from the FPGA returns the default value mentioned in the documentation (only support for 1000BASE-X Full Duplex).

Maybe I missed it, but I could not find any other reference to the supported configurations in this document than only this register.

Can someone provide me more information about this register and the supported configurations?

Regards,

Mark

9 Replies
Explorer
Explorer

Re: Does the 'Ethernet 1000BASE-X PCS/PMA or SGMII' core (SMII mode) support 1000BASE-T Full Duplex

The core supports:

1) 1000BASE-X  to connect to Optical SFP which will connect to fiber optics.

2) SGMII to connect to external PHY which will connect to copper wires operating in 1000BASE-T mode.

1000BASE-T not supported means that you need an external PHY to connect to COPPER.

Regards,

Eze

0 Kudos
Observer hanekamp
Observer

Re: Does the 'Ethernet 1000BASE-X PCS/PMA or SGMII' core (SMII mode) support 1000BASE-T Full Duplex

Hello Eze,

Thanks for your feedback.

I’m using a SFP transceiver that contains the external PHY to connect to copper.

Regards,

Mark

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

I don't know which SFP you are using but I would assume that it expects 1000BASE-X from the FPGA.

Here's an interesting application note from Finisar

http://www.finisar.com/sites/default/files/pdf/AN-2036_FAQ_1000BASE-T_SFPs.pdf

0 Kudos
Observer hanekamp
Observer

Hello ,

Thanks for your feedback. I will to read the attached article to get more information.

Currently I’m using a couple of Agilent HBCU-5710R 1000Base-T SFP transceivers that we used successfully on our ML605 boards.

Regards,

Mark

0 Kudos
Observer hanekamp
Observer

Hello,

When reading back you statement I’m not sure what you mean with:

“I don't know which SFP you are using but I would assume that it expects 1000BASE-X from the FPGA”

Please, can you provide me some more details. My previous reply describes the SFP transceiver that I try to use.

Mark

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Hi Mark,

Sorry I meant SGMII.

To clarify, you can connect the GT to the SFP/PHY in SGMII mode. You cannot connect the GT directly to the RJ45 connector.

Regards,

Eze

0 Kudos
Observer hanekamp
Observer

Hello Eze,
Sorry for my late response. What exactly do you mean with GT? General Transceiver? Gigabit Transceiver? As far as i know the SFP transceiver with internal phy that i use expects SMGII and is now connected to the 1000BASE-X core configured for SGMII in MAC mode.

What exactly do you mean with: "you cannot connect the GT directly to the RJ45 connector"?

At this moment I managed to get an sgmii link between the 1000base-x core and the sfp transceiver. Unfortunately i did not manage to get a medium link between the SFP transceiver and the linking partner (ethernet port of test pc).

Can you give me some hints to continue. The sgmii-link was established when the 1000base-x core becomes out of isolate state with AN disabled.

Regards,
Mark
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Hi Mark,

By GT I mean the FPGA GTX or GTP.

I don't have much experience with 1000BASE-T auto-negotiation. My guess is that if you disabled auto-negotiation on the SGMII side, you also need to disable it at you link partner.  I would look into the Finisar Application Note starting answer 9.

Regards,

Eze

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Did you find any solution to bring up the link on SGMII interface? I have the same issue and could not resolve the auto-nego between PHY and 1G PCS/PMA IP interface.

Kind regards,

Pedram Kermani

0 Kudos