UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor komatachia
Visitor

Not able to write or read from MDIO Status register through TEMA

Jump to solution

Hi all,

I have been trying to get a basic system simulated using the TEMAC v9 core, but I am having problems with the MDIO interface. I noticed that the output clock, mdc, never toggles so I looked through the documentation and saw that I needed to write to address 0x500 (MDIO Setup register) and configure the clock and enable bit.

When I was simulating writes to that register, I found that they had no effect at all. Not only that, but when I write and then read from that register, it returns all 0s as if I never wrote there at all.

Does anybody have an idea of what could be wrong? Here's a screenshot of those transactions happening on the AXI lite bus...

ss+(2016-04-24+at+05.31.36).png
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Visitor komatachia
Visitor

Re: Not able to write or read from MDIO Status register through TEMA

Jump to solution

Ok, so I think I've figured it out.

ISim pre-synthesis simulation can't simulate the TEMAC. It works during post-synthesis though (once you setup the license). Post-synthesis will not work if there are issues with the license, but it won't tell you that in any obvious way.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Teacher muzaffer
Teacher

Jump to solution
could you be having this issue?: https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Networking-and-Connectivity/Not-able-to-transact-MDIO-via-Host-Interface-for-TMEMAC-V6/td-p/388183
- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
0 Kudos
Visitor komatachia
Visitor

Jump to solution

I'm not sure because they're using a very different version of the core. In their thread, it looks like they are writing to register 0x340 for configuration instead of 0x500 (which is what is specifically mentioned in the v9 documents). I will try using modelsim though to see if it works.

0 Kudos
Visitor komatachia
Visitor

Jump to solution

Short update, but I wasn't able to get Modelsim working with the code. Unfortunately the version of Modelsim I have doesn't allow for mixed HDL (the cores libraries seem to force Verilog and the rest of the hdl is in VHDL).

Does anybody have any tips on getting this to work?

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi

Try simulationg the example design generated with the core and the axi lite controller has the logic to program the registers correctly which you can compart with your logic.

Regards,

Satish

--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
--------------------------------------------------​-------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Visitor komatachia
Visitor

Jump to solution

Which example design are you referring to?

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi

You can refer the standalone temac example design or the Axi ethernet example design(Both have the axi lite controller logic driving the MDIO).

Regards,

Satish

--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
--------------------------------------------------​-------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Visitor komatachia
Visitor

Jump to solution

Ok, so I think I've figured it out.

ISim pre-synthesis simulation can't simulate the TEMAC. It works during post-synthesis though (once you setup the license). Post-synthesis will not work if there are issues with the license, but it won't tell you that in any obvious way.

0 Kudos