UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor p.ark
Visitor

Setting a static IP address

Hi all,

I'm making my own IP core to communicate via ethernet with a PC. My goal is not to use a microprocessor. I'm using the AXI Ethernetlite IP to communicate with the Arty board's Ethernet PHY and so far I am able to send ethernet frames. I also have a C progam in my PC that can receive raw ethernet frames.

What I want now is for the FPGA and PC to communicate using the UDP protocol. But I can't do that without the board having an IP address. How do I go about setting a static IP address without a microprocessor?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Setting a static IP address

Hi @p.ark

As per my understanding of your post, you are implementing the the packet transfer in data link layer which uses MAC addresses for the transfers. As per the requirement of using the static IP address (Network layer) and for implementing the UDP (Transport layer) are part of the software stack and may need a processor to implement.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, give kudo and accept as solution
0 Kudos
Visitor p.ark
Visitor

Hi @kgadde

Yes, my board and and PC are in the same network. I want to try sending packets as if both are on different networks.

Would a dynamically assigned IP address need a processor, too? Could I manually construct a DHCP packet, and obtain an IP address from DHCP server?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @p.ark

I believe you need to build a Hardware Stack for such purpose and it is complicated though. There are some third part IPs are available which can be referred.

https://www.xilinx.com/products/intellectual-property/1-1x6s7l.html

Don't forget to reply, give kudo and accept as solution
0 Kudos