UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

Transceiver Settings from IBERT to GTP Wizard Design or Aurora IP from Coregen

Jump to solution
Dear Members:

I figured by now that if I were to use either the GTP wizard or Aurora IP from Coregen, the provided example designs -most likely- won't work optimally till I provide the correct parameters for the transceiver settings (coupling, voltage swing etc.)

The way to figure out the correct transceiver parameters is to run ibert, do sweep testing etc and try to achieve the optimal settings.

My first question is how to run the ibert to achieve these settings? What I currently do is I generate an ibert core. Transfer the bitstream to one of my sp605 boards using Impact. Then I unplug the usb connection of that board and then plug the usb connection for the second sp605 board. These two boards are connected via sma cables.

Then I run the chipscope for this second board and look at the ibert project. Try all 4 different loopback options and try to achieve no errors. Is this the correct method?

My second question is if there is any easy method to transfer these transceiver settings from ibert to my say aurora design example?

Recommendations are appreciated,
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Re: Transceiver Settings from IBERT to GTP Wizard Design or Aurora IP from Coregen

Jump to solution

To say the least what I asked to be verified was correct. But I like to add more information for people who might need it.

IBERT tests using loopback in far end mode cannot be used between two different fpgas if the clock sources are different.

I also figured out that while doing the IBERT tests in loopback mode, it makes sense to use the near end modes mostly. The far end modes are needed when a very specific testing is required. The other transceiver can always be tested in near end mode as well.

To figure out the best transceiver settings, run sweep tests while connected to both of the transceivers using 2 chipscope windows if necessary. Since loopback should be used while trying to figure out if the transceivers are working correctly, you should use No loopback while using IBERT to figure out the required transceiver settings for data transfer between FPGAs.

IBERT needs to be done just to make sure your transceiver works, mostly in custom designs. Xilinx development boards should not require any changes in the transceiver settings while using Aurora for example. 

GTX Wizard provides you different options such as Aurora etc, however it does only prepare the transceiver settings for Aurora but nothing else. Unless you want to create your own protocol, you shouldn't use GTX Wizard. 

Aurora IP Core generator is provided from Xilinx and this is the best way to test your transceiver. Aurora IP Core generator is really straightforward to use, just always make sure to choose the correct transceivers and clock source. 

I think this is pretty much it, I hope this would be useful to somebody in need. 

Regards, 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Re: Transceiver Settings from IBERT to GTP Wizard Design or Aurora IP from Coregen

Jump to solution

To say the least what I asked to be verified was correct. But I like to add more information for people who might need it.

IBERT tests using loopback in far end mode cannot be used between two different fpgas if the clock sources are different.

I also figured out that while doing the IBERT tests in loopback mode, it makes sense to use the near end modes mostly. The far end modes are needed when a very specific testing is required. The other transceiver can always be tested in near end mode as well.

To figure out the best transceiver settings, run sweep tests while connected to both of the transceivers using 2 chipscope windows if necessary. Since loopback should be used while trying to figure out if the transceivers are working correctly, you should use No loopback while using IBERT to figure out the required transceiver settings for data transfer between FPGAs.

IBERT needs to be done just to make sure your transceiver works, mostly in custom designs. Xilinx development boards should not require any changes in the transceiver settings while using Aurora for example. 

GTX Wizard provides you different options such as Aurora etc, however it does only prepare the transceiver settings for Aurora but nothing else. Unless you want to create your own protocol, you shouldn't use GTX Wizard. 

Aurora IP Core generator is provided from Xilinx and this is the best way to test your transceiver. Aurora IP Core generator is really straightforward to use, just always make sure to choose the correct transceivers and clock source. 

I think this is pretty much it, I hope this would be useful to somebody in need. 

Regards, 

0 Kudos
Visitor lymmsb
Visitor

Jump to solution

thanks,

airturk,

on my board, we use aurora to comunicate between two FPGA, one is kintex and the other is zynq.  i  generated ibert core  using ise14.4, but i couldn't found  aurora in protocol dropdown,.so i wonder whether i should update the GTX DRP and PORT setting manually? and if want to figure out the best  settings for TX Diff Swing,  TX Pre-cursor and  TX Post-cursor, should i sweep  TX Diff Swing from 0000 to 1111,TX Pre-cursor from  00000 to 11111 and  TX Post-cursor from  00000 to 11111 at the same time?and how to determine the horizontal increment and range selection,8 and -64(-0.500UI) to 64(0.500UI))? can you explain it for me ?

thank you!

0 Kudos