UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Unidirectional 10G-Ethernet

Jump to solution

Hello,

I was hoping someone really familiar with the TEMAC and 10G-Ethernet core could answer this question:

I notice that when using 1G or 2.5G Ethernet over fiber (with the TEMAC core), I can disconnect the receiving fiber, and data can still be sent.  I assume this means there is no link-establishment process.

I was wondering... is the same possible with the 10GEMAC core?  I have noticed that transmit does not inherently work when the RX fiber is disconnected.  Is there a way to bypass link-establishment?

Thank you,

-Kenton

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Unidirectional 10G-Ethernet

Jump to solution

HI

You can set  Fault Inhibit bit to 1 in the 10G MAC configuration to sent data on the TX irrespective of RX link status.

Regards,

Satish

--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
--------------------------------------------------​-------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

I think you need to do the functional simulation to confirm it. Just create an IP core example design.

Maybe the core TX side keeps working without RX side.

If not, you can just assign some constants to IP core RX signals and make it believe that RX side is linked.

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Are you using the 10G PCS/PMA core, with auto-negotiation and/or link training? Not an expert, but I think you can turn these off via MDIO. Or just re-generate a simpler core...

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

HI

You can set  Fault Inhibit bit to 1 in the 10G MAC configuration to sent data on the TX irrespective of RX link status.

Regards,

Satish

--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
--------------------------------------------------​-------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

Thank you all for the excellent and quick feedback.  Inhibiting Faults (MAC Register 410) allowed me to force unidirectional communication.

As a note: I was using the 10G Ethernet Subsystem, which implements the PCS/PMA core.  No auto-negotiation.

0 Kudos