Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Linux non responsive after R5 start

Hi,

I am trying to boot up Linux on A53 and BM on R5. I able to boot up Linux alone successfully from SD on A53.

I start the R5 from SDK debug. Soon after this the Linux console freezes.

BM is using console uart0

Linux is using console uart0

I find similar issue when I try to boot up both the processors from SD card. R5 console becomes unresponsive.

I tried OpenAMP, through this I get errors while openamp start command.

Is there any way to use the two processors in standalone?

Regards,

Kiran

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Linux non responsive after R5 start

My guess is that Linux becomes unresponsive because XSDB stops all of the processors when it connects to the hardware to download the R5 image.  You may be able to run 'con' at the XSDB prompt and see Linux go live again.

For deployment, you'll need to either include both binaries into the boot image, or use OpenAMP to start the R5 code after Linux boots.  I don't know the exact petalinux commands, but it should be no problem to package both R5 and A53 binaries into the boot image and have them both start.  Alternatively, if you can share the errors you're getting with OpenAMP (probably in a new thread in that sub-forum), we can try to help with that.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

@steven.bell

Thanks for your reply.

I have got the solution to start R5 through openamp (from one of my other threads). However, is it OK, from a safety prospective to start an R5 application(safety) from A53 that too from Linux?. I am skeptical.

I had tried in the past to bundle both the R5(BM) and A53(FSBL+Uboot+Kernel) components into SD card. I was able to successfully boot both the processors independently.But somehow the R5 used to freeze after I trigger an IPI from A53. I could not get anytime to try it again. 

Regards,

Kiran

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Glad to hear you were able to get OpenAMP working.

I'm not sure I understand your question.  Are you asking whether it is safe to launch an R5 application from an A53 running Linux?

What are your safety concerns?  Something like correctness of operation in an industrial context, or security of the system and vulnerability to attack?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

@steven.bell

My concern was regarding both safety and security of system. We could launch a control application from A53 to run on R5. These application launch should be both safe functionally and secure from vulnerability.

How can we ensure this when we try to start it from OSS like Linux? .Will it be a better option to boot R5 through FSBL rather than through  Linux(openamp)? 

0 Kudos