UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

OpenAMP on Zynq-7000 (Zedboard)

Accepted Solution Solved
Highlighted
Visitor
Accepted Solution

OpenAMP on Zynq-7000 (Zedboard)

Hello

I'm having difficulties on running the OpenAMP Example (echo_test) on a Zynq-7000.

What I did so far:

- Executed all the steps in UG1186 on the Zedboard BSP Project

- Changed the addresses in the openamp device tree coz the zedboard has 512MB RAM only (0x3e000000 -> 0x1e000000)

- Created a new application in the SDK with the OpenAMP Echo template

- Changed the addresses in the Linkerscript and the rsc_table (acc to the device tree)

- Copied the elf-file in /lib/firmware of the zynq linux

When I start this elf-file with the remoteproc0 I got the message  "remote processor remoteproc@0 is now up"
Then I load the "rpmsg_user_dev_driver" and start the "echo_test" app. There I got the message "Failed to open rpmsg file /dev/rpmsg0.: No such file or directory"

So, my question is, how is this rpmsg0 device activated/created?

Thanks

Used Tools:

- Vivado 2017.3

- Petalinux 2017.3

- SDK 2017.3

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee

Re: OpenAMP on Zynq-7000 (Zedboard)

You don't have a rpmsg channel being created.

Could you please verify your device-tree (see attached)

To disable initialization of shared resources when the master processor is handling shared resources initialization, add: -DUSE_AMP=1 (to extra compiler flags in bsp settings)

Make sure you have ps_cortex_a9_1 selected to run as your slave processor for your echo-test application

View solution in original post

All Replies
Xilinx Employee

You need to load the rpmsg module and start rpu firmware.

I tried this out for a ZC702 bsp. This is how your console output should look like

zc702_openamp.PNG

Visitor

Thanks for your answer. The difference to UG1186 is that you load the RPMsg module before starting the remoteproc. I tried it out but I still have the same situation. After starting the remoteproc the Core #1 is in suspended state (checked with the XSCT Console). When I start execution of Core #1 with XSCT (con command) the Linux kernel crashes.

My console:

console_remoteproc.png

What could be problem that remoteproc doesn't initialize the resources?

Thanks for another hint!

Visitor

Update...

I compiled the Remote App (echo_test) in Release configuration. When I use this image I have this situation:

console_remoteproc

After configuring and starting remoteproc the Linux kernel crashes.

Xilinx Employee

You don't have a rpmsg channel being created.

Could you please verify your device-tree (see attached)

To disable initialization of shared resources when the master processor is handling shared resources initialization, add: -DUSE_AMP=1 (to extra compiler flags in bsp settings)

Make sure you have ps_cortex_a9_1 selected to run as your slave processor for your echo-test application

Visitor

I just checked your hits and it works now. The problem was the missing compiler flag USE_AMP=1 in the bsp.

Thanks a lot for your help.