UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

Another question for XC7Z030 Configuration

Jump to solution

I have a clear idea that Kintex 7 inside XC7Z030 could be configured by PS side.

My question is : Can we leave signal PROG_B and INIT_B on FPGA configuration bank alone?

Many thanks for your answers.

David.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scholar pratham
Scholar

Re: Another question for XC7Z030 Configuration

Jump to solution

@hg81 You just have to connect pullups to these two pins (4.7K). For PROG_B recommend push-button to GND to enable manual configuration reset.

-Pratham

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Scholar pratham
Scholar

Jump to solution

@hg81 You just have to connect pullups to these two pins (4.7K). For PROG_B recommend push-button to GND to enable manual configuration reset.

-Pratham

Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution
You must not leave these pins floating. As pratham suggested, you have to pull-up these pins via a ≤ 4.7 kΩ resistor.

Please refer to Table 2-4 of http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/user_guides/ug470_7Series_Config.pdf for more details.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as "Accept as solution" if the information provided answers your query/resolves your issue.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
0 Kudos
Scholar trenz-al
Scholar

Jump to solution

PROG_B button is in most cases useless, the function of PROG_B is software dependant, so asserting prog_b does not always cause the FPGA to be reconfigured.. so a button on PROG_B is potential confusion, as it may not always trigger reconfiguration as it is with normal FPGA's..

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Great Answer.

Many Thanks.

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

0 Kudos
Observer mbianconi
Observer

Jump to solution

Is it safe to connect unused PROG_B with a stiff (<4.7k) pull-up in the 7-series?

I have got recent feedback from HW guys stating that the pin must be low-pulsed at power-up and they suggest a Schmitt-trigger circuit to generate a low-pulse of some unspecified duration only when the board starts up: they state that, if the pulse is not provided, there may be a risk of sporadic FPGA configuration failures.

I have experienced none of these (over a week of power-cycles) and I suspect the problem is down to the configuration settings of their specific test FPGA.

I reckon the PROG_B can be used by an external device if it wants to re-program the FPGA, but there is none in our application and it's absolutely safe to pull-up PROG_B if it's unused.

Am I right?

0 Kudos
Observer mbianconi
Observer

Jump to solution

Just a clarification: our device is actually an Artix-7 FPGA (xc7a50t); but the same should apply to this too as well as to Zynq and SoC. If such a failure existed, it'd mean that the configuration logic can't be relied upon to load the FPGA at power-up.

I tend to think that the pulse on PROG_B just delays the configuration and masks a racing condition with the flash memory.

This can be handled by setting the options the bit-file generation script correctly.

0 Kudos