cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
utpalrathod

Can GPIO of FPGA be defined as clock input and output?

Can I use GPIO as clock Input and Output to synchronize my external devices. 

e.g. Can Pin number E14 and E15 of Kintex 7 FPGA be defined as clock to sync external device?

Thanks

Utpal Rathod

0 Kudos
2 Replies
thakurr

Hi @utpalrathod

It is recommended to use CCIO (clock capable IO) pins for clock input or output ports you wish to synchronize with any external devices.

Which package/ part of Kintex you are targetting? Here is the helpful link for you.

https://www.xilinx.com/support/package-pinout-files/kintex-7-pkgs.html

Regards
Rohit
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
pthakare

Hi @utpalrathod

I am not sure about input but you can use GPIO to forward the clock i.e

Clock you want to forward to the downstream device  ->  ODDR  (connect output to the GPIO pin)

ODDR is to  keeps the duty cycle and provides the best possible path[Assign Logic '1'  to D1 and  Logic '0' to D2. [This way, the output of the ODDR will generate a high at posedge of the clock and a low at negedge of the clock]

Please refer to the 7 series FPGA Libraries Guide for description and instantiation of these primitives

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2018_2/ug953-vivado-7series-libraries.pdf

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please reply if you have any queries , Give Kudos and Accept as Solution

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply if you have any queries, give kudos and accept as solution
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos