UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Clock to non CCIO pin

Jump to solution

Hi,

I am working on an ISP project, that uses a custom board that attaches to the PMOD connectors of an ARTY Z7 board and the other end to an image sensor. The problem with the custom board is that 2 pairs of MIPI signals (clk_p, clk_n and data2_p, data2_n) are swapped and as a result the clk_p/n dont go to the CCIO on the PMOD, instead the data2_P/N connect to the CCIO and clk goes to a non-CCIO pin. If i just go ahead and connect them as it is on the xdc i am able to pass implementation, but vivado wouldnt let me generate bitstream and i see this critical warning

[Vivado 12-1411] Cannot set LOC property of ports, Could not legally place instance design_1_i/mipi_csi2_rx/csi_rx_4lane_0/U0/link/clkphy/iclkdbuf at Y16 (IOB_X1Y86) since it belongs to a shape containing instance design_1_i/mipi_csi2_rx/csi_rx_4lane_0/U0/link/clkphy/iclkbufio. The shape requires relative placement between design_1_i/mipi_csi2_rx/csi_rx_4lane_0/U0/link/clkphy/iclkdbuf and design_1_i/mipi_csi2_rx/csi_rx_4lane_0/U0/link/clkphy/iclkbufio that can not be honoured because it would result in an invalid location for design_1_i/mipi_csi2_rx/csi_rx_4lane_0/U0/link/clkphy/iclkbufio. 

any suggestions as to how to proceed further? Although i can externally switch the connections using wires (doing spaghetti connection), that would be a little time consuming and needs some soldering on the custom board. I was wondering if there is a way to route the clock through non-CCIO pin itself.

TIY

Regards,

SKa

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Voyager
Voyager

Re: Clock to non CCIO pin

Jump to solution

It's unfortunate, but often design problems are not reported by Vivado until you get to the Write Bitstream stage. One would think that an issue that prevents bitstream creation would cause a noticeable hiccup earlier in the process... but alas. (Try forgetting to set the tech of a single IO pin sometime. Whee!)

There are occasions when missing a clock-capable pin can be forgiven. Your design, however, appears to use ICLKBUFIO--which means IO timing is critical. Clock capable pins have fixed connections to those components; not using a clock capable pin, in your case here, is preventing Vivado from routing components together. 

I don't believe there's a fix in your future. Warm-up that soldering iron.

-Joe G.

3 Replies
Voyager
Voyager

Jump to solution

It's unfortunate, but often design problems are not reported by Vivado until you get to the Write Bitstream stage. One would think that an issue that prevents bitstream creation would cause a noticeable hiccup earlier in the process... but alas. (Try forgetting to set the tech of a single IO pin sometime. Whee!)

There are occasions when missing a clock-capable pin can be forgiven. Your design, however, appears to use ICLKBUFIO--which means IO timing is critical. Clock capable pins have fixed connections to those components; not using a clock capable pin, in your case here, is preventing Vivado from routing components together. 

I don't believe there's a fix in your future. Warm-up that soldering iron.

-Joe G.

Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution
you should see a critical warning earlier in the flow before the error in write_bitstream, unfortunately, there is no fix for this it is the connectivity of the device and there is no dedicated path from a non CCIO pin to a clock buffer.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

Jump to solution

Hi @skaat27

This is an error at bitstream and would most likely have been a CW at the implementation step. 

As the other poster mentions there is no way around this. The clock must come from the CCIO. 

Keith 

Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.