Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

FPGA for 8 CPU cores 8/16/32-bit with 4GB RAM possible to backup

Jump to solution

Hello!

I'm bit long time beginner.
I want to create multi-CPU core FPGA by possible core switch.
I want to allow to give amount of RAM for all cores in their address space - so from 64kB up to 4GB.
But I want to backup RAM content at power-off - so it can be address space for each - if possible.

It needs at least 4GB RAM - no matter what a RAM type to use, fastest core clocking is 50MHz, so it needs no any DDR4 or so fast memory type.
I want to have also Flash for storing anything like BIOS or hypervisor. Memory type can be in addon modules, eMMC, SODIMM or other. Not SD card or other alternative 'cause I need at power-off backup RAM as fast as possible.
FPGA IO have not so high requirements and I know that lot of FPGA models have more than req'd 44-pin IO. Existing RTC and/or ethernet can be benefit.

I cannot find FPGA capable to use and it is also for price range - I'm not limited by price, only need to find best performance/price ratio.

So, I think main problem is in RAM size.

Can anybody help me to decide for exact model? I hope this thread will not become forgotten.

Thank you all and community for each help, reply, comments or each suggestion, or at least words.

Miro

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Advisor
Advisor

Perhaps. I think the Xilinx MIG (memory interface generator) would need updates to work with NVRAM, so it's really up to Xilinx.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Advisor
Advisor

It looks like the ZCU104 might do the job nicely for you. It's got 2GB RAM included (connected to the ARM processing system), but there's also a SODIMM slot that attaches to the programmable logic. It looks like it'll support up to 8GB SODIMMs (specific models). It'll be DDR4, but you don't really have much choice - nobody makes big-and-slow RAM.

In terms of making it non-volatile, there's QSPI flash and a slot for an M.2 SSD. Using the QSPI for your FPGA bitstream would make sense, and then the SSD can handle your RAM backup (much faster, and much more capacity).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Ok, looks great - all benefits.

Q is simple - I'll search, but maybe you can answer me search entry: SODIMM I think is not form factor for Optane NVRAM, but - can be supported Optane in future or even - present?

Thank you very very much!
Miro

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor
Advisor

Perhaps. I think the Xilinx MIG (memory interface generator) would need updates to work with NVRAM, so it's really up to Xilinx.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Ok, thank you else again.

Miro

0 Kudos