cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Help for building ethernet on Numato's Zynq board Styx

Hi, I'm using Numato Zynq Styx board (https://numato.com/product/styx-zynq-7020-fpga-module). I want to develop ethernet functionality on the board, a separate patchup board will be prepared joining some of the IO pins of the board.

The problem with the board is that it doesn't directly give access to the PS section's Gb Ethernet pins, so a workaround has to be done. Can some suggest me something on this?

Gb Ethernet is required but if not feasible with available pins of the board 100Mbps Ethernet would be used instead. So one of the question is whether we can use PL sections pins to make Gb Ethernet? For PHY and MAC some other ICs may be used for ex. (ENC28J60) or complete board like ENC28J60 Ethernet Module .

Any suggestions or complete solution or further queries are welcome.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

Re: Help for building ethernet on Numato's Zynq board Styx

@rahulrana,

Yes of course you instiantiate the Xilinx TEMAC IP (read the latest version of PG051 docu) core in the PL section and implement Ethernet functionality.

But I would like to ask you a basic question. Why did you choose this dev board? You knew that you were going to use Ethernet functionality before purchasing this board right?

For PHY and MAC some other ICs may be used for ex. (ENC28J60) or complete board like ENC28J60 Ethernet Module .

Would it not have been easier to choose a Zynq based dev board that comes with an on board Ethernet PHY and the RJ45 socket?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FPGA enthusiast!
All PMs will be ignored
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Main purpose of choosing this board was to implement VME and other custom communication protocol for communicating with several other units on-board that in total uses many IOs (143) and this board could provide 150 IOs. So yes at the begining I didn't know that I wouldn't be able to use ethernet functionality directly or ethernet option wasn't thought of initially at all. Also this board would be used as a patch up board on top of some other board and a small form factor was necessary for that. That's why we zeroed on this board. 

And now after implementing the desired functionality, only 7-8 IOs are available for Ethernet (that is another issue, so i'm planning to use SPI to ethernet interface if possible, any lead in this way is also welcome, can I use https://robu.in/product/ethernet-module-enc28j60/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAh9njBRCYARIsALJhQkH8OMGwt2nwvtAa87hZCUgNbE8cpeU5o0V6gCaqIWPwdPQi5Yire5AaArLUEALw_wcB).

0 Kudos
Visitor
Visitor

@dpaul24or Any other gentleman,

I would like to know that if zynq PS MAC can be used to implement ethernet functionality on Numato Styx, using EMIO and then GMII to RGMII IP core.

I tried doing so and a snip of the block diagram is attached below for your reference.

For PHY i'm using numato lab's RTL8211E Gigabit ethernet expansion module. IOs were adjusted and the module is not used as it is. instead it is connected through wires to the desired IOs on Styx board.

After exporting the hardware and bit file settings and runing lwIP application, the debugger says that the auto negotiation failed. What could be the reason?

Please also comment if the implemented block is ok or not.

thanks in advance.

ethernet for styx using emio.PNG
0 Kudos