UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer crowleyuk
Observer

Implimenting XAPP524/1017 CLK Alignment

Jump to solution

Hi there,

I've been attempting to impliment the clock deskew circuit described in XAPP524 and XAPP1017.

Running the post implimentation timing simulation, my circuit correctly adjust taps until a rising edge from stable low to stable high has been detected on the output of the ISERDES.

This isn't the case when I program the actual hardware unfortunatly.

The clock I am capturig is a 360MHz signal from an imaging sensor, it is free running once the sensor has been started.

Using an ila on the design, clocked from the bufr driven by the incoming 360MHz clock / 8 the output of the ISERDES is stuck at 0 (8 bit mode).

I am using a BUFIO as the CLK input, and a bufr with divider at 8 for the CLKDIV of the ISERDES in networking mode.

Now this is where it gets interesting,

If I replace the bufio with a bufr, no divider I start to see junk on the ISERDES output, when my tap is set to 0 in the IDELAY block. after 2 taps, the data returns to a steady 0 all the way until the taps over flow from 31 to 0, where junk will then become present on the ISERDES output.

With a clock period of 2.778ns, I would have expected to see both edges of the clock when cycling through all 31 taps.

I have measured the incoming clock and it is indeed 360MHz.

Any advice on what my next steps should be?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Observer crowleyuk
Observer

Re: Implimenting XAPP524/1017 CLK Alignment

Jump to solution

Turns out I had my reset signal to the idelayctrl module wrong.

Created a quick and dirty 32 flipflop delay from reflk to the reset input and everything sprang into life as expected.

No idea why it passed simulation.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Observer derrickg
Observer

Jump to solution

What clock are you using to set the delay on your idelay block?  I typically use 200MHz for a ~78ps delay per tap.

I ended up adapting the XAPP.  I have set my idelay blocks for the data lines at a fixed 15 taps, and then vary the taps for the clock's idelay block.  That has given me much better results because I can sync even if the clock is already late.

0 Kudos
Observer crowleyuk
Observer

Jump to solution

Turns out I had my reset signal to the idelayctrl module wrong.

Created a quick and dirty 32 flipflop delay from reflk to the reset input and everything sprang into life as expected.

No idea why it passed simulation.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos