UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

Interface possibilities

Jump to solution

I am designing a board with a zynq z030. I have differential clock drivers that can be either HSDS, LVDS, LVPECL, or LCPECL (selectable). We did not place those signals into an HP bank that might have DCI. The drivers have a resistor to ground and an AC coupling capacitor before entering the FPGA at an MRCC input (bank 13) and MGTRefClk.  What would be the best choice (or ANY choice) for one-way, differential receiver input technology at the MRCC input? I'm looking at UG471 and I would like help in choosing the optimum standards for both transmitter (TI chip)  and receivers (Xilinx Zynq7000) given my limited option in terms of external components.

Can you make any recommendations?

Regards,

Kurt

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Interface possibilities

Jump to solution

Do you have DIFF_TERM enabled? It should be disabled as mentioned in the conditions of UG471 I referred to

can you share your UCF constraint for this clk signal & your IBUFDS instantiation in your code?

- Giri
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's no such thing as a stupid question. Feel free to ask but do a quick search to make sure it ain't already answered.
Keep conversing, give Kudos and Accept Solution when you get one.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
11 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Since Bank 13 is an HR Bank, I would suggest choosing LVDS so that you can use DIFF_TERM provided you power Bank 13 with 2.5V. LVDS doesn't need DCI. 

- Giri
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's no such thing as a stupid question. Feel free to ask but do a quick search to make sure it ain't already answered.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

The port is not bi-directional, and it's 3.3V. The port is receive-only. I noticed that in Vivado the LVDS is red when selected, but it does let me choose the LVDS2.5. I don't see an option to use "DIFF_TERM" in the I/O Ports tab in Vivado (after synthesis). Is this something that is added by hand in TCL, or is there another way / place to enter it when using Vivado?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

@petersk I meant LVDS_25 since that is  available for HR bank. LVDS is for HP. Regarding DIFF_TERM, you can set it in UCF file 

Check page#49 http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/user_guides/ug471_7Series_SelectIO.pdf

- Giri
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Well, as it turns out, I have LVCMOS3.3 on the same bank and it seems like it errors out even using LVDS25.  Do I have any other "compatible" choices on a HR bank?

I can AC couple either HSDS, LVPECL, or LVDS and then use in_term; but how do I know what standard to use to ensure nothing is overdriven in the FPGA?

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Ok, can you answer the below to better understand your use case

1. LVCMOS33 is the only other IO standard in the Bank? 

2. LVDS_25 you plan to use a inputs right? If so, you should be able to use LVDS_25 as inputs even if VCCO != 3.3V. Check page 92 of Ug471 on conditions that need to be followed in this use case

- Giri
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

forxilinx33.PNGThat doesn't seem to work. See attached...

forxilinx33_err.PNG

Any thoughts?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Do you have DIFF_TERM enabled? It should be disabled as mentioned in the conditions of UG471 I referred to

can you share your UCF constraint for this clk signal & your IBUFDS instantiation in your code?

- Giri
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

I disabled DIF_TERM and it now doesn't error. Now I'm going to try it and let you know if it works without diff-term.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Since DIFF_TERM is disabled, hope you have a external 100-ohm resistor near the receiver for the LVDS signal

- Giri
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

I have a 50 Ohm to ground on each leg.  Do you think that might work?

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

LVDS needs a 100-ohm termination across the P& N signals as shown below. LVDS is a current mode driver and the 100 ohm is what produces the differential swing voltage.

With DIFF_TERM disabled, you need the external resistor like in Figure 1-70 below

lvds_term.JPG

- Giri
0 Kudos