Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Junction Temperature Range

Jump to solution

Hi,

I'm using an XC7Z007S-1 device.  The junction temperature range is listed as 0 to 85 C.  My question:  is it okay to run with the junction temp at 85C continuously?  Will this degrade the life of the part?

I don't have any MTBF data on this device, so I want to make sure that I'm not shortening the life of the device by running it at or near it's max junction temp.

Thanks,
Dan

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

You can run the part at 85C for at least the specified lifetime (>20 years for commercial parts) without any problems.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

You can run the part at 85C for at least the specified lifetime (>20 years for commercial parts) without any problems.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Mentor
Mentor

You should be good for 20 years at that temperature.    In all likelihood, a lot longer than that.   If you look at UG116 (page 38),  they've been testing hundreds of Series 7 devices at temps above 125C, with over 850,000 device-hours so far, with ZERO failures to date.    The failure rate that they publish for these devices is just an estimate of the upper bound, based on testing so far.

Running at 85C is pretty hot for an Series 7 FPGA, but the lifetime degradation is frankly unknown, since there have been no failures at 125C (or above at 130C, which is used for accelerated testing).   It's pretty hard to extrapolate from zero failures.

Don't forget to close a thread when possible by accepting a post as a solution.
Highlighted
Mentor
Mentor

dang, Ralf!   I was too slow and you snatched the solution from me!!   Laughs...

Don't forget to close a thread when possible by accepting a post as a solution.
0 Kudos