UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

Kintex 7 Dual Edge Flip-Flops

Hello to all,

I have looked through Kintex-7 device and could not find any information that explicitly indicates that it supports dual edge flip-flops. I am supposed to design an IP with double data rate transfer, and I wanted to know if there is such a flip-flop; Or should I take two different sets of flip-flop each for both edges of the clock?  

I would be really grateful if anybody could also suggest me some references and tips.

Thank you very much in advance.

Regards,

Amir

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

Re: Kintex 7 Dual Edge Flip-Flops

IOB registers on th epins are DDR,

so support both edge of the clock.

DDR is not possible inside the FPGA, as internal FDRE are single edge ,

but IOB its very normal to use ODDR and IDDR.

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/user_guides/ug471_7Series_SelectIO.pdf?bcsi_scan_76a858e05751204b=0&bcsi_scan_filename=ug471_7Series_SelectIO.pdf

page 127,

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hi @drjohnsmith 

Thank you very much for your quick reply.

I need DDR inside the FPGA, that means I should go through two parallel sets of flip-flops sensitive to both edges of the clock.

Do you know any kind of references that can be helpful for this purpose?

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Amir

0 Kudos
Scholar watari
Scholar

Hi @amir.massah 

Would you refer page 109 on following document ?

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/user_guides/ug471_7Series_SelectIO.pdf

Best regards, 

0 Kudos
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

I might have confused ,  sorry.

both the IDDR / ODDR and the FDRE are on th efpga chip, its just teh  IDDR and ODDR are on the outside , user facing, whilst FDRE's are not user facing..

inside the FPGA, htings are always single clock edge, not both edge,

the IDDR and ODDR allow one to receive / transmit DDR signals

and then inside th efpga, you have two paths , not one,  both on the same clock edge.

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos