cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PeterB
Visitor
Visitor

Kintex-7 MCMM: Dynamic phase shift for frequency modulation?

Jump to solution

I have existing hardware based on a Kintex-7 that requires a user-driven PLL for clock alignment.  That is, I can measure a phase error via fabric or even via software, and need to correct a ~100Mhz clock based on that error.  The correction range needs to cover +/- 50ppm or so.  I do *not* have an actual related clock to feed to an MCMM block.

It looks like the dynamic phase shift might get the job done: by continuously commanding a phase increment (or decrement) at a fixed interval, it seems one could shift the resulting frequency.  The documentation claims "no maximum phase shift or phase-shift overflow", which suggests a continuous increment like this would work.  But then it says "When the end of the period is reached, the phase shift wraps around round-robin style", which is strange language.  I cannot tell from this if a wrap would create a glitch as the shift jumps from +55/56 to 0, or whether the wrap does what one would hope and smoothly increments the phase again.

My application can tolerate the jitter that would come from this bursty phase noise, but I also consider feeding the resulting uneven clock back through another MCMM or PLL block to smooth out.

Has anyone experimented with frequency offsetting in this manner and had success?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
pthakare

Hi @PeterB 

Phase shift here is linear increment in step of (1/56Fvco).

There will not be glitch. Its like if you phase shift the clock by 370 deg linearly , but considering period its actually 10 Deg with respect to original clock.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply if you have any queries, give kudos and accept as solution
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
pthakare

Hi @PeterB 

Phase shift here is linear increment in step of (1/56Fvco).

There will not be glitch. Its like if you phase shift the clock by 370 deg linearly , but considering period its actually 10 Deg with respect to original clock.

Reply if you have any queries, give kudos and accept as solution

View solution in original post

0 Kudos