cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Migration from Spartan-6 to Spartan-7

I am in the process of transitioning a design from Spartan-6 to Spartan-7. There are a few other posts regarding the migration, but they are very specific questions. Could you give an overview for the general migration process? As of right now I have not changed any of the files since I last ran the build in the old software. There is not currently an accurate pinning schematic referring to the new board, but I was not sure if that would cause an error in the build. For this case, is it just a matter of downloading Vivado, and creating a new project within the new application with the specified Spartan-7 FPGA and generating the bitstream? 

I am running into an implementation error, and I believe it has to do with the migration. The build works in the old ISE software, but then I get the following error during the implementation build:

[Place 30-494] The design is empty
Resolution: Check if opt_design has removed all the leaf cells of your design. Check whether you have instantiated and connected all of the top level ports.

Does this error have to do with the .ucf file not having accurate pinning assignments? All of the answers I have read to this error have been relatively vague, with no actionable objectives.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted

If you are running Vivado, you need a xdc constraints file, not a ucf constraints file.  xdc has a different, tcl like syntax.  You will also need to replace any Spartan6 primitives with Spartan7 primitives.

Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

No, it's not because of the pin location constraints. You should be able to implement without constraints and create the constraints file in the implemented design, then rebuild.

It may be migration related, but so many things can happen when porting project that my suggestion is you post it as a failed implementation and provide more details (sometimes the clue of the error is not the error message but some critical warning, etc)

Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hello @Erin 

Good resource for migration is https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/ug429_7Series_Migration.pdf 

I hope you find it helpful.

Regards,
Bhushan

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos