cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Necessity of clock crystal/ external clock source for fpga

Jump to solution

Is it necessary to connect a clock crystal/ external clock source for Artix7 (or any) FPGA. If 'Yes', to which pins? I'm using XC7A35T-FTG256C.

Thank you...

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

@abdulrasheed1981wrote:

So you are telling I've to use the same clock frequency?? 

Nope :) . It's up to you to choose. The general norm is to use 100MHz - 200MHz as system clock input and use the MMCM/PLL to generate the various clocks you need for your design from the system clock. 

- Giri
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's no such thing as a stupid question. Feel free to ask but do a quick search to make sure it ain't already answered.
Keep conversing, give Kudos and Accept Solution when you get one.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Highlighted

@abdulrasheed1981 You will need a clock (system clock) to run your design. The general norm is to use an Oscillator to provide the clock and connect it to MRCC pins of a Bank. 

Take a look at AC701 Eval Board Guide and Schematics to get an understanding 

- Giri
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's no such thing as a stupid question. Feel free to ask but do a quick search to make sure it ain't already answered.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Highlighted

Thanks for the response... I've referred Arty board schematics an found a 100MHz clock source. Now I'm trying to design a board for my own application. So you are telling I've to use the same clock frequency?? Or can I increase/decrease the clock frequency value depends on my application??? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

@abdulrasheed1981wrote:

So you are telling I've to use the same clock frequency?? 

Nope :) . It's up to you to choose. The general norm is to use 100MHz - 200MHz as system clock input and use the MMCM/PLL to generate the various clocks you need for your design from the system clock. 

- Giri

View solution in original post