cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor
Visitor

Obsolete XCS30-3TQ144C

Hello,

It's hard to get support through the normal tech support portal, so I'll ask here.  I need to know what the most efficient path is to replace an obsolete FPGA ( XCS30-3TQ144C ).  I've seen some info complaining about the newer ISE suite not supporting ports from older devices but am unsure of the details.  So, I need to know how to most efficiently port this older schematic-based design into an equivalent newer part with the least risk.  Can someone please advise?

0 Kudos
1 Reply

You will almost certainly need to layout a new circuit card.  I'm pretty sure there will be no pin compatible part, even if you could adjust the voltage levels to what a newer part needs.  Given that, you need to decide how long you want to keep this design viable.  You will still be able to get Spartan 6 FPGAs for a few years and you could use ISE14.7.  You could move to the Spartan7 if you want to use a modern chip, but that means moving to Vivado.  You will need to do that sooner or later if you want to stay in this business.  In either case, neither ISE14.7 or Vivado will open the old schematics.  My advise, if you have a paper copy of the old schematic is to do a direct translation into whichever RTL you know best.  In the long run, code is easier to comment and source control. 

0 Kudos