UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer crowleyuk
Observer

Slowest speed you can run the Zynq PS?

Hi there,

I've got a requirement to run a processor as slow as possible (EMI Reasons) and have been given a Zynq 7020 as a target chip.

What is the slowest clk speed I can clock this PS system?

I've sucessfully run the Microblaze softcore at 1MHz for experimental purposes but have yet to try the ARM cores.

From the Zynq datasheet the clock into the PLL has the following requirements:

FPSCLK    PS_CLK frequency      MIN: 30MHz      MAX:60MHz

And the output clock is:

FPSPLL_MIN    PLL minimum output frequency     780 MHZ

Does this mean that the slowest input clock we are able to use is 30MHz, and the slowest ARM core clock is 780MHz?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Slowest speed you can run the Zynq PS?

There are dividers after the PLL to drive the various parts of the chip. The max CPU divider is 30, so you can get it down to 780/30 = 26MHz. You will have to put in at least 30MHz on the PS_CLK. You might also find that lower frequency doesn't necessarily mean better in terms of EMI, it depends more on edge sharpness than frequency, and you might find that running fast and being in sleep mode 95% of the time is better than running slowly.

0 Kudos
Scholar dpaul24
Scholar

@crowleyuk,

The Zynq documentation should tell you the lowest clk freq.

@patstew  is correct. Practically you can supply the PS with the lowest clock your MMCM/PLL can generate.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FPGA enthusiast!
All PMs will be ignored
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Observer crowleyuk
Observer

@patstew Thank you for the information.

@dpaul24Thank you for the reply, I was only able to find the maximum frequency in the documentation unfortuantly, which is why I asked on here.

0 Kudos
Scholar dpaul24
Scholar

@crowleyuk,

@dpaul24Thank you for the reply, I was only able to find the maximum frequency in the documentation unfortuantly, which is why I asked on here.

Ah....some Xilinx docs!

Find out the ARM core used and search directly ARM documentation for that. I would do so.

FPGA enthusiast!
All PMs will be ignored
0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

I very much doubt you'll find it, ARM can't know that kind of information, it depends on the specific chip implementation not the IP that ARM sell to Xilinx.

0 Kudos