cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rsgrimes
Observer
Observer

Two output signals on two different pins appear to be added together! (Zync XC7Z010)

Jump to solution

I am trying to create a simple VHDL component that sends the output of a quadrature encoder on two pins (i.e. Phase A and Phase B). The component works, as illustrated here in the Vivado simulator:

SimulationSimulation

However, when I route those signals to two pins on my FPGA, using these constraints:

set_property PACKAGE_PIN G17 [get_ports {P_PHASE_A}];
set_property PACKAGE_PIN G18 [get_ports {P_PHASE_B}];
set_property IOSTANDARD LVCMOS33 [get_ports -of_objects [get_iobanks 35]];

I see the following on my scope:

Scope TracesScope Traces

It appears as if the two signals from my component are added together and sent to both pins! I suspect there is something I'm missing in the constaints file, as the two pins G17 and G18 apparently can be combined as an LVDS signal, which could explain what I am seeing; however, other signals on other LVDS-capable signals do not seem to exhibit the same behavior.

I am using a MicroZed 7010 (with XC7Z010-1CLG400C FPGA), mated with the AES-MBCC-IO-G I/O expander board, which simply brings the pins out to headers.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bruce_karaffa
Scholar
Scholar

The two pins are almost certainly shorted together somewhere.  They are not connected inside the FPGA.  I don't see anything in the schematic for the Microzed or expander board to account for this. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies
chaitusvk
Adventurer
Adventurer

Use ila core to Debug 

0 Kudos
mage
Explorer
Explorer

Do you set the VCCO_35 to 3.3V?

0 Kudos
bruce_karaffa
Scholar
Scholar

The two pins are almost certainly shorted together somewhere.  They are not connected inside the FPGA.  I don't see anything in the schematic for the Microzed or expander board to account for this. 

View solution in original post

rsgrimes
Observer
Observer

Embarrassed to admit, it was my scope probes that had shifted and caused the behavior! Doh! Thanks for prompting me to check another time.

0 Kudos