UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

Virtex 6 spontaneous deprogram and system monitor inaccesible

Jump to solution

I have a board a Virtex 6 (VC6VSX315T) FPGA.  After programming the FPGA, we find that things seem fine and we are able to get valid system monitor reads from the FPGA using chipscope.  However, after about 20 minutes the FPGA deprograms and the system monitor is no longer accessible using the chipscope tool. Here is a screen capture:

Chipscope Invalid Data

If we do a similar test without programming the FPGA, chipscope will be fine for a while and then spontaneously give us the same Invalid Data screen.

This is a mature design so we know the basic circuits are proper, however I'm at a loss as to what could cause spontaneous system monitor access problems like this.  I've checked the following

1. VCCint is stable at 1.0V when viewed on an oscilloscope.
  2. VCCaux is stable at 2.5V when viewed on an oscilloscope.
  3. Visual inspection of the system monitor reference logic shows no missing part, etc.
  4. Confirm IC temperature is less than 30 degree Celsius when that problem occurs.

I'd appreciate any insights into what can cause a problem like this.

Regards,

David

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Re: Virtex 6 spontaneous deprogram and system monitor inaccesible

Jump to solution

I'm closing this since I'm moving on to work with an FAE.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Voyager
Voyager

Jump to solution

Hey David,

I'd appreciate any insights into what can cause a problem like this.

I would double and triple check the (JTAG) connection to the board.

Especially if you are using an USB JTAG probe, check that it doesn't overheat and check with the operating system that it doesn't suddenly disappear from the bus and return with a different ID or similar.

Flakey USB conenctions and bad JTAG probes are one of the main reasons for FPGA debugging going wrong.

Hope this helps,

Herbert

-------------- Yes, I do this for fun!
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution
Thanks for the input. I'm not sure how this would relate to the deprogramming of the FPGA when it is programmed, but we'll take a look.
0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

Jump to solution

Hey @apogeedbkxilinx,

Thanks for the input.

You're welcome!

I'm not sure how this would relate to the deprogramming of the FPGA when it is programmed

The FPGA keeps the configuration in SRAM so a power cycle or a reset on the JTAG side will undo your programming.

Note that it is a different story if you are observing an attached SPI or I2C memory losing its content instead of the FPGA. So if that is the case, please clarify.

Best,

Herbert

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution
Ah. I see what you are saying about the JTAG now. By deprogramming, I am referring to the FPGA. The initial clue was a deassertion of the Done pin. We have also observed the deprogramming event occur with the JTAG cable disconnected. Would that also be consistent with a JTAG issue in your view?
0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

Jump to solution

Hey @apogeedbkxilinx,

We have also observed the deprogramming event occur with the JTAG cable disconnected.

Would that also be consistent with a JTAG issue in your view?

No, this would hint towards a problem with the power supply or with the reset logic or insufficient power rail decoupling under heavy switching load.

Hope this helps,

Herbert

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

I'm closing this since I'm moving on to work with an FAE.

0 Kudos