UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

Which clock to choose in design when on board clock source is differential LVDS ?

Jump to solution

I am learning Vivado on a board KC705.

This board has several clock sources.

The main one is a 2.5V LVDS differential 200 MHz oscillator.

It is a signal pair, connected to two of the FPGA pins AD12 and AD11.

Suppose I am designing a simple D Flip Flop and I wish to assign the clk signal to the clock source on the board. I choose "I/O Planning" in Vivado and I need to select the SITE for the clk signal. 

But a D-ff has a regular clock (not differential). 

To which FPGA pin should I map the signal clk?

thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Which clock to choose in design when on board clock source is differential LVDS ?

Jump to solution

In this case you need to insert an IBUFDS in your code. 

This is the primitive that takes the received differential input and sends it to the fabric as a single ended signal

You can find it in the language templates in Vivado.

Hope this helps! 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
4 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Which clock to choose in design when on board clock source is differential LVDS ?

Jump to solution

In this case you need to insert an IBUFDS in your code. 

This is the primitive that takes the received differential input and sends it to the fabric as a single ended signal

You can find it in the language templates in Vivado.

Hope this helps! 

Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

回复: Which clock to choose in design when on board clock source is differential LVDS ?

Jump to solution

Hi @dag1

Per klumsde said, you need to convert the differential input to a single signal, used as your system clock.

You can find the RTL template in the vivado "Language template". The attachment is the Verilog template for IBUFDS. For your reference.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IBUFDS.JPG
Explorer
Explorer

回复: Which clock to choose in design when on board clock source is differential LVDS ?

Jump to solution

Thanks,

I added a component called  IBUFDS_inst  : IBUFDS

one more question:

when I do I/O Planning I only see the signal that connects to the Positive signal of the differential pair.

I can see in the column "Neg Diff Pair" the name of the negative signal.

However, I am only given the chance to choose the FPGA Site (pin) for the Positive signal.

Will the Vivado know which SITE to connect the negative signal? Or do I need to do something different so that I can choose the SITE manually ?

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @dag1

Yes, If you define the IOSTANDARD in the xdc as a differetial IOSTANDARD , such as LVDS. The tool will automaticlly make the negtive pin assignment if you only add the location contraint for the positive pin. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos