cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Why was LVDS 1.8V removed from the Artix 7 Data Sheet?

Jump to solution

The LVDS 1.8V standard is discussed in many, many posts and articles.

Why was it removed from the data sheet?

ds181 Artix 7 Data Sheet:

03/18/2015 1.18 In Table 11, changed maximum VICM value from 1.425V to 1.500V. Removed LVDS 1.8V standard from
Table 19 and Table 20. Removed minimum sample rate specification from Table 65.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

After some searching, I found the answer. I am providing details here for other poor souls.

The documentation constantly refer to Series 7 HP banks which offer LVDS_18.

There are different flavors in the Series 7 family.

The Kintex-7 variety has HP banks in which LVDS_18 can be utilized.

The Artix-7 variety does NOT have HP banks, thus LVDS_18 is not available. LVDS_25 in the HR banks is available.

It was included in the data sheet by error which was corrected in 2015.

NOTE: LVDS_18 is also referred to as LVDS 1.8V and simply LVDS. LVDS_25 is (almost?) always referred to as LVDS_25 by Xilinx.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

After some searching, I found the answer. I am providing details here for other poor souls.

The Artix-7 variety does NOT have HP banks, thus LVDS_18 is not available. LVDS_25 in the HR banks is available.

NOTE: LVDS_18 is also referred to as LVDS 1.8V and simply LVDS. LVDS_25 is (almost?) always referred to as LVDS_25 by Xilinx.

View solution in original post

@venommike wrote:

The Virtex-7 variety does NOT have HP banks, thus LVDS_18 is not available. LVDS_25 in the HR banks is available.

Slight correction* and as a reference to other customers out there. The Virtex-7 does have HP banks in fact Virtex-7 devices haves the most HP banks of any of the 7-series device family. I believe that is a typo and "Artix-7" was what he intended to write instead. A general description would be as follows for the 7-series families.

Spartan-7: - Cost optimized devices with HR IO banks only basically an Artix-7 without the GTs. Chip-scale & wire-bond BGA packaging. 

Artix-7: - Cost optimized devices HR IO banks only with GTPs. Chip-scale & wire-bond BGA packaging packaging 

Kintex-7: - Premium device with HR and HP IO banks with GTXs. Premium flip-chip BGA packaging

Virtex-7: - High performance, largest gate count, top of the line FPGAs with mostly HP IO banks, ads GTHs + GTZs support. Premium  flip-chip BGA packaging. Some with multi-SLR support. Basically the latest and greatest with all the gun and bazooka features you might want for achieving the best results if you are not cost limited. 

Obviously this is oversimplification to make it easier to elaborate the differences here on the forums but there are many more nuances between even each family densities. I implore folks to read a little more into our product portfolios and brochures available on line or contact our sales offices for more information.

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/selection-guides/7-series-product-selection-guide.pdf

Regards,

T

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

You are correct...I should have said Artix-7 instead of Virtex-7.

I edited my comment to make the correction.

0 Kudos