UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor erikamgard
Visitor

Xilinx Power Estimator vs Vivado power e

Hello, im trying to estimate how much my design's power consumptions will be and so far I've only been using the built-in Power report in Vivado. I also decided to test XPE to confirm that the results matched and whatnot. The results are; 0.855W in vivado and 2,4 W in XPE. 

Is there any big differences between the two that I'm missing here? Which is more reliable? The device used can be seen in the picture below.

Thanks in advance

xpe_vs_viv.png

0 Kudos
3 Replies

Re: Xilinx Power Estimator vs Vivado power e

@erikamgard I notice you are using Vivado 2018.1 but 2017.4 XPE. Can you import your 2018.1 vivado generated .xpe into 2018.1 XPE file and check before debugging?

Generally, Vivado Power is accurate if you do the Vector based estimation i.e. providing your SAIF file (simulation file) 

However importing .xpe from Vivado into XPE file shouldn't generate such discrepancy. So if uou can import into the right XPE version and check, we can look further. 

- Giri
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's no such thing as a stupid question. Feel free to ask but do a quick search to make sure it ain't already answered.
Keep conversing, give Kudos and Accept Solution when you get one.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Visitor erikamgard
Visitor

Hi and thank you for the quick answer,

I installed XPE 2018.1 and got the same values. This might be a dumb question but, after importing the xpe file from Vivado, are you supposed to use the "quick estimate" function or are the values supposed to update themselves? Just started using XPE.

Thanks

0 Kudos

@erikamgard Its supposed to import all the settings automatically. 

You may want to go over this XPE UG: http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2018_1/ug440-xilinx-power-estimator.pdf  Check from Page#99 about importing .xpe files into XPE. 

Can you share your .xpe file and Output Text file from your Vivado power?

- Giri
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's no such thing as a stupid question. Feel free to ask but do a quick search to make sure it ain't already answered.
Keep conversing, give Kudos and Accept Solution when you get one.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos