cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor
Visitor

Zynq 7000, ZC706 question with use

1. If program device need license?(Synthesis , implement both are need license, right? If program device need license, too?)

2. Does program device use bit file?
3. When I want to verify it, need mask file, where & how to get or generate the mask file?
4. Open HW_manager, I only see XC7Z045 one device. IF there are no non-volatile component to program it or to saved the bit file? Whether I need to program it every time when I want to use ZC706?
5. I have see a tutorial, but it need to use on-chip ARM core to save program to on-board flash, is this is only way to program the bit-file to device?
6. If there are another way to program the device? Can advise me the detail flow? (We did not use the on-chip ARM core, We use a DSP core)
7. Since I did'not use on-chip ARM core, P7 element, Can I connect my DSP's Jtag port to pin AA13, AK13, AK12, AH18 of XC7Z045? These port connect to ZC706's J64, PJTAG Header. Does it conflict with ARM?
8. (cont. with item 7) If I can use these ports, does connect directly (TDI with TDI, TDO with TDO) or sequential connect it(TDI to TDO) ?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Voyager
Voyager

Re: Zynq 7000, ZC706 question with use

1. The biggest Zynq device supported by the free Web Edition Vivado is ZC7030:

https://www.xilinx.com/products/design-tools/vivado/vivado-webpack.html#architecture

So you will need either to get a paid one or use the 30-day evaluation

2. vivado generates bitstreams in bit files. Hardware Manager (previously iMpact) will connect to your device via JTAG and download your config.

3. What's a mask file?

4. If you have a zc706 and HM tells you there is a 7z045 you have a problem.

5. No, check the "Configuration User Guide". The most typical way of configuration for FPGA is with a serial flash. 

6. Check doc mentioned above for all sort of config flavours

7. don't know, sorry

8. That is always confusing like RX/ TX. Check your programming tool documentation. For USB Platform Cable is DS593. For that one I think is TDI/TDI and TDO/TDO but not sure, to be honest I just check it once then trust the plug

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Thanks for your reply

1. There are ZC7045,

https://www.xilinx.com/products/boards-and-kits/ek-z7-zc706-g.html

But, my question is, Need a license file in the program stage?

We have purchase this board, and there is only one license, & it's node-lock license, but I would like to separate synthesis & program on different workstation.

3. when right click on vivado HW_manager, you will see verify, it will need bit file & mask file (*.msk)  

4. As 1.

5. I didn't read serial flash with vivado, so I have this question. 

There are SPI flash on ZC706 board, But it's controller seems built on ARM ocre, 

So, I have item5, item6 question 

6. the same 5

Anyway, Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Mentor
Mentor

Hi @alextsao

I suggest to use USB NIC as node-lock dongle, if you have a license.

You can execute Vivado on different workstation.

I'm not sure.

But, in my experience, Zynq has internal JTAG chain to communicate PL, boundary IO and two CPU cores by JTAG port.

So, it depends on your requeirement. (ex. You do debug via JTAG. You must prepare JTAG ports.)

Do you want to use JTAG chain for ohter external device ?

If yes, you connect TDO on Zynq to TDI on other external device.

[Additional information]

Zynq can load (boot) program and bit file from non volatile ram. (ex. SPI flash, SD Card, eMMC and so on.)

You can choose the way of configuration for FPGA from them.

Best regards.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Hi ,

1. Thanks,

7. Yes, I know. But, my question is , can I use on board's JTAG connector for my design's JTAG?

8. As item7.

[Additional information]

Thanks. But, there are no use ARM core on my design. Is anyway to use the non-volatile without ARM core?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Mentor
Mentor

Hi @alextsao

7 & 8

Of course. But you take care jtag chain.

[Additional Information]

Do you mean that you only use PL block in Zynq ?

If yes, I'm not sure, but you follow Zynq boot sequence.

Because of, after PoR, Zynq execute boot code on BootROM...

FYI.

https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/50991.html

Best regards,

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Hi, @watari

Thanks.

Yes, I only use PL.

I read a tutorial from Xilinx, the bootROM seems use for ARM core.

I'll read the document which you mention.

Anyway, thanks. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Is there Xilinx's expert can  help?

1. If program device need license?(Synthesis , implement both are need license, right? If program device need license, too?)

2. Does program device use bit file?
3. When I want to verify it, need mask file, where & how to get or generate the mask file?
4. Open HW_manager, I only see XC7Z045 one device. IF there are no non-volatile component to program it or to saved the bit file? Whether I need to program it every time when I want to use ZC706?
5. I have see a tutorial, but it need to use on-chip ARM core to save program to on-board flash, is this is only way to program the bit-file to device?
6. If there are another way to program the device? Can advise me the detail flow? (We did not use the on-chip ARM core, We use a DSP core)
7. Since I did'not use on-chip ARM core, P7 element, Can I connect my DSP's Jtag port to pin AA13, AK13, AK12, AH18 of XC7Z045? These port connect to ZC706's J64, PJTAG Header. Does it conflict with ARM?
8. (cont. with item 7) If I can use these ports, does connect directly (TDI with TDI, TDO with TDO) or sequential connect it(TDI to TDO) ?

0 Kudos