UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

required a simplest, low cost but high density 7 series FPGA board

Hi

I am working on a hobby project which requires a lot of resources(LUTs and flops basically) and for that I need a high density 7-series FPGA board. I dont need PCIe or Fiber Optic connectors. All I need is low performance board to board or board to PC interface. FMC, USB or any other simple interface will work for me. The idea is about implementation of many-cores solution that will receive data from PC, process it and send it back. FPGA-PC communication is of low bandwidth.

It would be great if you can refer a ready-made solution based on description above.

Or what if I go for a custom design? What options do I have if I dont have experience with the board design? Is/Are there any famous name(s) that can provide me a board based solution if I select FPGA and required interfaces of my choice?

Thank you for your time!!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Scholar u4223374
Scholar

Re: required a simplest, low cost but high density 7 series FPGA board

How much is "a lot of resources"? Can you give us a number to work with? Even a small FPGA by today's standards has a pretty substantial set of resources at its disposal.

The "cheap" boards will be based on the Artix or the smaller Zynq chips. Digilent has a decent range, and if you're a student then you can get the Pynq-Z1 for a very low price ($65 last time I checked). Otherwise, MYIR's got the Z-turn for about $120.

If you're after more resources than you can get from the Artix and Zynq 7020 (the largest Zynq you can get for a decent price) then everything is going to become much more expensive - you'll be looking at around $1000 for a Zynq UltraScale+ or Kintex 7/UltraScale+ development kit.

0 Kudos

As u4223374 says it would be good to understand the amount of resources you really require.

As he said the arty for artix7 and some zynq devices are reasonably priced.
Avnet have a minized that does zynq 7000 and has a few peripherals and it also supports expansion via pmods this is priced pretty low.
If you need more processing power and more fpga resources you could look at the ultra96 this is priced under 200 dollars I think
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos

Thank you for participating in this discussion

I already have a Digilant zybo board with Z010 for proof of concept where I have results I required at very low scale. Well, my target was to get a board with 1M LUTs and around 0.7M Flops but I am realizing that might not fit in my budget. So my question would be: If you know a high density artix or zynq board with reasonable price(<400 USD)?:

BTW, where did you find Zynq P-1 for 70 USD? What I checked is both boards are around 200 USD. Same what I paid for Zybo long time ago :)

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Well you can make your own board, by just taking some open source board files and using it

Another option, if you need may LUTs, connect several ports together by some other ready protocol board e.g. PCIe board

Or use Xilinx GTX modules to transfer the data among these boards

0 Kudos

The first option sounds very interesting. Do you know where can I find some feasible open source board files? Can you refer any good company that can do the board design along with assembling(soldering components) with reasonable cost?

0 Kudos

Either of these M.2 boards might meet your needs:

https://www.crowdsupply.com/rhs-research/picoevb  (XC7A50T)

https://www.crowdsupply.com/rhs-research/nitefury  (XC7A200T)

The only IO is PCIe (x1, or x4 for the bigger part) back to the host.

Disclaimer: I haven't used these boards.

Edit: I can't see any power supply components on those boards that would be able to supply the sort of current that would be needed by a dense design with a fast clock.  Nor can I see any mechanism for removing the heat ...

0 Kudos

Both solutions looks really amazing specially the second one with Artix-7 200T.

But both are in pre-order state i.e. they are not fully developed yet.

And most importantly, I have the same concern about the power consumption since I will be using the device at highest possible frequency with very high resource utilization. Since I wont be putting it in my laptop M.2, I can implement my own cooling solution.

Please let me know if you find a more better/stable solution

0 Kudos