UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

Could the input pin of 7 series be floated?

Jump to solution

If one user IO is configured as input and is not pulled up or pulled down, can I leave it open? Will the IO circuit be damaged by the increasing current due to a voltage in the middle point of high level and low level? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

Re: Could the input pin of 7 series be floated?

Jump to solution

floating a pin does not cause dammage by itself,

but if yo dirve it out of its operating bounds, it will get damaged.

11 Replies
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

No issue,

Xilinx IC designers are aware users sometimes do not take care in their designs, so all IO are designed to not suffer any cross-current damage (electromigration rules are followed to provide wider metal lines).  That said, good design practice wouls be to enable the weak pullup or pulldown on IO so that input pins do not float.  The extra current from floating inputs is not large, but does contribute to wasted power (less than ~ 1mA per input pin when at 1/2 Vcco).

Exceeding the values in Table 1 of the data sheet will result in damage, so always stay in the safe region, and stay below limits in Table 2 if you expect your design to actually work.

The final rules to observe are the ESD limits, and the Latch-Up current limits for IO (<100 mA forced into any IO pin or bank, <200 mA into all IO banks).

l.e.o.

Tags (1)
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

Jump to solution
Good question,
Abs no problem leaving un used pins un constrained, I've doen it for decades, so has every one else I know,
BUT , dammed good question,
I seem to remember they are set default in the tools to weak pull up / weak hold, but for the life of me, I can not find where it says that.
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Just to chime in as an extra voice of reason - You should never do that. 

I've played with it for fun to see what happens and it's not good. All sorts of bizarre stuff goes on with busy FPGAs.

Unconnected I/O should have weak pull-up/down termination enabled by default.

As for any over/under-voltage transients that exceed protection -- that's already been mentioned. 

Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

@drjohnsmith wrote:
I seem to remember they are set default in the tools to weak pull up / weak hold, but for the life of me, I can not find where it says that.

Its in the bitsream setting for unused pins in the design. Below snippet from Page#293 of UG908 v2018.3 

unused_pin.JPG

- Giri
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's no such thing as a stupid question. Feel free to ask but do a quick search to make sure it ain't already answered.
Keep conversing, give Kudos and Accept Solution when you get one.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution
If I define a pin as input, for example, system clk, I do not actually connect it with a clock source, but rather float this pin. This floated pin is not an unused pin. Will this cause damage?
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

No, it will not.

Damage occurs by exceeding values in Table 1 of the data sheet.

Or ESD.

Or latch-up (injecting > 100 Ma into a io or bank, > 200 ma to a device total of io)

l.e.o.

Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

Jump to solution

floating a pin does not cause dammage by itself,

but if yo dirve it out of its operating bounds, it will get damaged.

Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

@greatmaverick wrote:
If I define a pin as input, for example, system clk, I do not actually connect it with a clock source, but rather float this pin. This floated pin is not an unused pin. Will this cause damage?

Let's try saying this another way.

Yes -- you can configure as an input and leave disconnected -- but don't leave it floating. Configure the input with the weak pullup or pulldown.

This takes care of weird operation that might occur because it's floating and is experiening external influence.

But - now that it MIGHT be connected to a signal from outside - (like a user hookup on a connector) - make sure you protect the input from ESD that might occur during any connection events.

Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Thank for all of the responses.

My FPGA user clk input pin is connected with a MCU. At powering up, the MCU IO is float, the clk input pin of FPGA may

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution
Thank for all of the responses.

My FPGA user clk input pin is connected with a MCU. After powering up, the MCU IO connected with clk pin of FPGA is high impedance until external trigger happens, the clk input pin of FPGA is floated at this phase. If I use weak pull-up or down IO setting of FPGA, will it degrades the integrity of clk signal?
For another question, What is your method of ESD protection when plugging to a signal connector when power is on.
Thank you
0 Kudos
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

Jump to solution
New questions...
DO pull ups / downs degrade signals, only if you get the wrong value resistance. The built in pull ups on fpgas are designed to not cause degradation problems, but this is bot a xilinx question.

ESD protection, now thats a real big question, way outside the forums.
this might help,
https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/white_papers/wp433-Mitigating-ESD-EOS.pdf

but its a BIG subject.
e.g. I have designed for companies and in applications over the range of options of a) ESD does not exist to b) every IO must be through a isolated 'bridge'.
Your options are many