UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Participant kbj1213
Participant

LVDS I/O standard on an FPGA

Jump to solution

Hi, I'm a beginner for designing a digital system on FPGA.

I'm reading a datasheet regarding with I/O standard(ug-471) and user guide regarding with my FPGA (ug-810).

I have a question about a voltage of I/O.

In ug-471, the table on image tells that LVDS I/O std requires 1.8V both for input and output.

So, I think I should set all of input and output pins which has "LVDS" as I/O standard.

But it's confusing for me that there are lots of pins which have LVDS I/O standard but are on the Bank of VDD more than 1.8V.

(for example, AD28 pin on the pictures which I upload)

How should I set this pin when synthesizing?

LVDS ? or LVCMOS25 ? for LVCMOS18 ?

1.png
2.png
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

回复: LVDS I/O standard on an FPGA

Jump to solution

Hi,

LVDS input pair does not necessarily require a VCCO of 1.8V, unless you use the DIFF_TERM termination.

Read 'Rules for Combining I/O Standards in the Same Bank' in UG471 and read Note1 after Table 1-55.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

回复: LVDS I/O standard on an FPGA

Jump to solution

Hi,

LVDS input pair does not necessarily require a VCCO of 1.8V, unless you use the DIFF_TERM termination.

Read 'Rules for Combining I/O Standards in the Same Bank' in UG471 and read Note1 after Table 1-55.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Scholar u4223374
Scholar

Re: LVDS I/O standard on an FPGA

Jump to solution

@kbj1213  You shouldn't be able to actually select the "LVDS" IO standard for any of those pins, because they're all on a HR bank ("LVDS" is only available on the HP banks). Instead you can select "LVDS_25", which is only available on the HR banks and (as the name suggests) works just fine at 2.5V.

What @iguo has said is relevant to running the HR banks at 3.3V. In this case you can still use the LVDS_25 standard, but the internal LVDS termination will be disabled - external termination must be provided. Since the closest you can get the external termination is normally about 10cm (unless you're designing a custom board) this is less than ideal.

Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: LVDS I/O standard on an FPGA

Jump to solution
Yes I did not distinguish LVDS and LVDS_25 here, just want to say the LVDS/_25 input standard voltage does not have to be same with Vcco.
@u4223374 is correct. LVDS in HP while LVDS_25 in HR.
0 Kudos