UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to write a verilog code for convolution

Jump to solution

Hello,

I am trying to write RTL code for FIR filter, in that 2 variables are there i.e k and n. the n is varying from 0 to 1023 and k is varying from 0 to 758. so because of two variable i am unable write code for it, so any one can suggest to write a code for below convolution equation.

y(n)=x[n]*h[n];

convolution.PNG
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Voyager
Voyager

Re: how to write a verilog code for convolution

Jump to solution

I've dealt with this problem from several different contexts on ZipCPU.com.  You can read my first article about building such a filter at the system clock rate here, or another similar article (with a better design and lower latency) here.  There's also an article on how to test that such a filter works in general, a test report for said filters, and even two other versions appropriate for when the data rate is much slower than the system clock rate: both for a straight FIR as well as for a symmetric FIR filter.

Hopefully those will help you along your way.  If you like the site, you can find other articles discussing logic PLL generation, interpolation both linear and quadratic, cordic's, FFT's, and more here.

Dan

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Scholar u4223374
Scholar

Jump to solution

This would be really easy in HLS...

In any case, you're going to have to make some decisions on the trade-off between performance and resource usage. The straightforward approach to this (it's possible that an FFT-based one would be better) will require at least 1024*759 = 777216 multiply operations, which is definitely impossible to do in a combinational way on any current FPGA. Doing one n value at a time will still cost 759 multiply operations. If they're fixed-point this is achievable on a moderately large FPGA, but it's going to be a substantial chunk of the total resources - you won't be able to do many other DSP-intensive tasks on the same chip.

Going the other way, if you only want to do one multiply per cycle then it'll be pretty cheap (even if that has to be a floating-point multiply) - but it will take 777,216 (or a few more) cycles to generate the complete output.

0 Kudos
Observer deeksha@f7
Observer

Jump to solution
Try to use 2 for loops for 2 variables. calculate values and u can also use generate block to simultaneously generate all values and then do add operation.
0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

Jump to solution

I've dealt with this problem from several different contexts on ZipCPU.com.  You can read my first article about building such a filter at the system clock rate here, or another similar article (with a better design and lower latency) here.  There's also an article on how to test that such a filter works in general, a test report for said filters, and even two other versions appropriate for when the data rate is much slower than the system clock rate: both for a straight FIR as well as for a symmetric FIR filter.

Hopefully those will help you along your way.  If you like the site, you can find other articles discussing logic PLL generation, interpolation both linear and quadratic, cordic's, FFT's, and more here.

Dan

0 Kudos

Jump to solution
i have tried with two for loop, but its showing error. if you do not mind can you provide code for this.
0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

Jump to solution

Didn't I just do that?

Dan

0 Kudos