UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor srcampbell
Visitor

PCIe DMA/Bridge and AXI Performance monitor BRAM reads returning Fs

I am trying to follow:

https://www.xilinx.com/video/technology/getting-the-best-performance-with-dma-for-pci-express.html

Using the driver from: https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/65444.html

I am using a bittware, with an xcvu13P (xcvu13p-figd2104-2-e)

I set up my PCIe DMA/Bridge in DMA mode with a x16 8GT/s (Gen 3) PCIe Interface. I'm using all 3 bars (AXI Lite Master for the performance monitor, DMA (AXI_M) connected to the BRAMs, and the DMA BYPASS also connected to the BRAMs). I'm also using the AXI Lite Slave. I added the BYPASS since the DMA driver wasn't getting responses and I wanted to be able to write directly to the BRAMs. Now when I load the image, and read from BAR4 (Bypass), I get all Fs. I have added a system ila to both the dma AXI_M and to the bypass and I don't see any traffic when I issue writes. I also added an ila to look at the user_link signal and the reset signal. They are both high (reset is active low).

The BRAMs are connect through an AXI Smartconnect (2 Masters: M_AXI and BYPASS). The AXI performance monitor is connected via a axi interconnect (Master: AXI Lite Master, Slaves: AXI Lite Slave and Performance Monitor).

See images to see how the BARs, DMA, and addresses are configured.

root@positron1:~# busybox devmem 0x380040000000
0xFFFFFFFF

I read something here (https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/PCI-Express/Xilinx-Answer-65444-performance-test-failed/td-p/832761) about not using smart connect with PCIe IPs. Is this what is causing my issue?

I don't see any critical warnings or errors with synthesis.

dma_bridge_bars.png
address_editor.png
dma_bridge_dma.png
memory_mapped.png
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: PCIe DMA/Bridge and AXI Performance monitor BRAM reads returning Fs

Can you put in an ILA on the PCIe core CQ/CC interface?  This will show if the PCIe request is even getting to the core.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
Visitor srcampbell
Visitor

How do you expose the PCIe core CQ/CC interface in the DMA/Bridge Subsystem for PCIe? Are these the signals that are exposed through enabling "Additional Tranceiver Control and Status Ports"?

0 Kudos
Visitor srcampbell
Visitor

Update: I made an image with just the dma and the bypass ports (no axi performance monitor, no AXI Lite Slave or AXI Lite Master). I also changed the PCIe to AXI to 0x0... This image works! I am able to dma and directly read/write to the brams.

Now without changing the address editor or the DMA/Bridge Subsystem for PCI Express configuration for the PCIe to DMA Interface or for the PCIe to DMA Bypass Interface, I added the AXI Lite Slave and Master back in. With this new image I again get Fs when trying to read from the bypass however the dma does still work.

Without the AXI Lite Master and Slave:
Region 0: Memory at f3800000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K] <- DMA
Region 2: Memory at f3400000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=4M] <- BYPASS

root@positron1:~# busybox devmem 0xf3400000
0x00000000
root@positron1:~# busybox devmem 0xf3800000
0x1FC00006
root@positron1:~# busybox devmem 0xf3400000 w 0xF
0x0000000F

With the AXI Lite Slave and Master:
Region 0: Memory at f3800000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256K] <- AXI LITE
Region 2: Memory at f3900000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K] <- DMA
Region 4: Memory at f3400000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=4M] <- BYPASS

root@positron1:~# busybox devmem 0xf3800004
0x00000000
0xFFFFFFFF
root@positron1:~# busybox devmem 0xf3400000 w 0x000
0xFFFFFFFF

Now on the ILA on the image with the AXI Lite Master and Slave, I see that the address for the write is 0xC00000000 and without the AXI Lite Master/Slave it is 0x0 (like was specified).

Anyone know where this 0xC00000000 could have come from? Is there something about the BYPASS being on BAR 4 vs. BAR 2?

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @srcampbell

Can you please post your XCI file?  Are you directly connecting BRAM behind the AXI Lite / Bypass interfaces or do you have an interconnect / smartconnect logic?

Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
0 Kudos